rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Shaving with a straight razor? Any recommendations?

Do any you guys use of one of these straight razors to shave? Check out the link, for #9, disposable razors: http://listverse.com/2009/01/09/top-10-w...ucts-ever/

I have to agree with what's at the link--the industry has us trained well. I have never had a shave with anything other than a disposable, except at the barber shop. I can afford my Mach 3 razors, but if I can do better and save a few bucks all whilst adding a bit of "class" to my morning ritual, why not?

I looked into it a while back.

There's a ton of research online.

Just watch the YouTube video tutorials. They'll answer all of your questions.

My short conclusion: If my workplace weren't loose on grooming (scruff is fine), I'd have switched to a straight razor.

But watch the videos to know what you'll be getting into. Among other things, shaving takes 2-3 times longer.

I switched to a safety razor years ago and it was the best personal grooming decision I've ever made. Better shave, no more razor burn and the razor blades cost me about 5% of what I was paying for disposable cartridges. Plus it looks cool and manly. I tried the straight razors as well but didn't find they offered any advantage over a safety razor, rather more time consuming and I was paranoid I'd accidentally slit my throat.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

I learned that it's easier and better to use bar soap instead of shaving cream, and I learned to shave while still in the shower.

If you shave while in the shower or fresh out of it, your hairs will have absorbed the hot water and be easier to cut. Scrape the bar soap against your chin stubble to get up a good lather - no need for soap chips and a hair whisk. Lather your hand a bit with the soap and rub all that chin scraping around your face. Now your face is much better prepared for a good shave than any shaving cream can make it.

I recently looked into doing this. I researched the different types of straight razors, etc. I have a cheap one lying around and experimented with it (because it isn't high quality, it didn't cut very well, but it gave me an idea of how to handle it and the angle you need to have it at, etc.). I thought it would be more difficult, but again, I only did one cheek. You need to learn how to shave the more difficult areas also.

I switched to shaving brushes and soaps in the 90s, and have a couple of shaving sets. I still use cartridges, and they are expensive. Using either a safety razor (I have one of these also) or a straight razor is more cost effective, even though straight razor shaves take longer and you have to use more care. It's also important to care for the razor to keep it sharp (you need a strop and wax for it, etc.), so there are pluses and minuses to using it. At some point I'll buy a quality straight razor and make the commitment to start practicing with it until I get good and comfortable. You have to learn to use your weak hand to shaving the opposite side of your face, and that could be a challenge.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

I think this is covered in part in a thread called "skincare tips - no homo" or something along those lines.
I've recently switched to a straight edge with disposable blades.
Advantages:
-incredibly close shave, The 4 o clock shadow only appears the next day.
-blades cost a fraction of what disposable razors cost
-useful for sculpting precision sideburns, mustache or goatee

Disadvantages:
-you'll require at least two shaving sessions to get a feel for it, during which time you may shred your face
-it takes longer to shave than with the regular disposable.

Overall I'd recommend the straight razor.

A true straight is a bit of a pain, in that you have to maintain, as mentioned above. My daily shave is a safety razor, and I love it. However, for cleaning up the bear after it's had a chance to grow for a week or so, I use a "Dovo Shavette"--it's a little holder for half of a double-edged safety razor blade. It's not as "good" as a proper straight, but it works well, gives me a chance to practice straight-razor shaving, uses the same blades as my safety razor, and was pretty cheap. Recommended as a "gateway razor".

If you like the disposable straight razor idea, the Feather "Artists Club" has gotten great reviews, but it takes custom blades (that are wicked sharp).

Eventually I may get a proper straight, but they're just so spendy and labor-intensive that I'm holding off.

I've shaved with a safety razor for many years, it's cleaner, more hygienic, more comfortable and causes less skin problems, compared to cartridges. I've always wanted to try out straight edge razors, not easy to find where I'm from.

I firmly believe that a man should shave with an implement that can potentially also be used as a weapon. While I may not look very threatening coming at you with a double edged razor laced around my fingers, I'm sure my double edge razor would beat a guy wielding a puny shaving cartridge.

I'd rather grow a full beard again than touch my with that cartridge garbage. It's too feminine.

Quote: (03-29-2012 02:50 PM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I've shaved with a safety razor for many years, it's cleaner, more hygienic, more comfortable and causes less skin problems, compared to cartridges. I've always wanted to try out straight edge razors, not easy to find where I'm from.

I firmly believe that a man should shave with an implement that can potentially also be used as a weapon. While I may not look very threatening coming at you with a double edged razor laced around my fingers, I'm sure my double edge razor would beat a guy wielding a puny shaving cartridge.

I'd rather grow a full beard again than touch my with that cartridge garbage. It's too feminine.

You should be able to find one online that will ship to wherever you are.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

I misread the thread title...thought you were talking about safety razors.

I personally wouldn't mess with a straight razor.

If it works, report back.

I've been using a straight razor with disposable blades for several years,
and agree on their cost effectiveness. A ten pack of blades lasted six years. I've also switched from gilette shaving creams/gels to generic shaving soap + shave brush.

Quote: (03-29-2012 11:39 AM)Timoteo Wrote:  

I switched to shaving brushes and soaps in the 90s, and have a couple of shaving sets. I still use cartridges, and they are expensive. Using either a safety razor (I have one of these also) or a straight razor is more cost effective, even though straight razor shaves take longer and you have to use more care.

I'm considering safety razors for this reason.
What are the pros/cons of switching to them as far as maintenence goes?

"The whole point of being alpha, is doing what the fuck you want.
That's why you see real life alphas without chicks. He's doing him.

Real alphas don't tend to have game. They don't tend to care about the emotional lives of the people around them."

-WIA

Quote: (04-01-2012 06:48 PM)SpiderKing Wrote:  

I've been using a straight razor with disposable blades for several years,
and agree on their cost effectiveness. A ten pack of blades lasted six years. I've also switched from gilette shaving creams/gels to generic shaving soap + shave brush.

Quote: (03-29-2012 11:39 AM)Timoteo Wrote:  

I switched to shaving brushes and soaps in the 90s, and have a couple of shaving sets. I still use cartridges, and they are expensive. Using either a safety razor (I have one of these also) or a straight razor is more cost effective, even though straight razor shaves take longer and you have to use more care.

I'm considering safety razors for this reason.
What are the pros/cons of switching to them as far as maintenence goes?

Safety razors are easy to maintain. You can just rinse it thoroughly, or even open it and wipe of the blade and dry the inside of the casing. I actually do this with my cartridges - after shaving, I rinse them off, and then get a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol and clean the blades further to really get those little clippings of hair from between.

A true straight is a bit of a pain, I would prefer a safety razor anytime !

I use a straight razor with the disposable single blades. They're really cheap. Plus it gets you a closer shave than anything else.

It's how a man should shave. None of this cartridge shit.

"Colt 45 and two zigzags, baby that's all we need" - Ronald Reagan

Walnuts, SpiderKing, could you post links to your straights w/disposable blades? Always looking for new shaving toys.

I have these two.

I prefer This one. I'd recommend it if your starting out. It's cheap but nothing wrong with it. This is what I use regularly.

This one doesn't shave as good, I don't use it anymore. Plus it doesn't hold the blades very well.

Took me a few shaves to get the hang of it but I just taught myself. I got a few nicks the first few times but now I never cut myself.

The blades are really cheap too. I got a box of 100 for something like £5. If you shave once a day that's £20 a year. But they cut so close that you probably won't need to. When you figure out how to go against the grain without cutting yourself you get the closest shave imaginable.

I thought getting a true straight razor with strop etc. but they're expensive and my cheap one does pretty good now anyway. Maybe if I get some money to blow. Student life sucks.

Huh, wonder how they compare to my trusty old Dovo Shavette. May have to try and find some in person and compare.

Would you recommend it?
I might look into it.

It's not bad; if you get one, get the metal one. The Dovo has multiple plastic sleeves for different blades (so you can use DE razor blades or longer/more rigid Fromm "hair trimmer" blades, though I didn't find those much of an upgrade). I'm not sure it'd be much of an upgrade (or downgrade) to yours.

The only "straight with disposables" that I've heard markedly strong opinions about is the Feather Artists' Club series (here among others); Feather blades are alarmingly sharp. But that's a lot of cash for a disposable-blade razor; almost may as well get a proper straight for that (although then you get stropping/honing etc).

After reading this I decided to go for the safety razor. Amazing, my mind is blown. So much better than the Mach3 crap I was using, dirt cheap after startup costs and makes it a fun process too.

Good man, Slubu. Takes a short adjustment period, but it's not that long and imho the benefits (if only economical!) vastly outweigh the minor annoyances.

It's amazing how much people wind up paying just to avoid the trouble of actually learning a new skill... and with some things, that's okay (I've no great desire to learn to make my own clothing alterations). But with shaving?

Straight razor recommendations? How about . . .

(1) Be sure you're calm and collected and in a safe environment before shaving your pubic hair with one;

(2) Steel yourself before seeing any of the various stage or screen versions of the Sweeney Todd story;

(3) Consider entirely avoiding seeing Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí's 1929 surrealist short film Un chien andalou (An Andalusian Dog).

Any brothers posting in this post using these? I stopped fucking with razors in general about 4 years ago due to nasty razor bumps I would get. I have herd strait blades do give a quality shave which won't cause razor bumps but I've never submitted myself to find out. My pops fucks with a safety razor, he didn't really get bumps but he's dark as night and literally hacks his face up.. no soap.. no cream. Don't even thing he uses water either, just strait jungle with it.

I gashed my cheek today, not cool. I got too cocky after about 3 shaves with the safety razor. Wouldn't stop bleeding, now it looks like I have an aids lesion on my face. This will hurt the game for a few days.

Quote: (05-29-2012 06:51 PM)kosko Wrote:  

Any brothers posting in this post using these? I stopped fucking with razors in general about 4 years ago due to nasty razor bumps I would get. I have herd strait blades do give a quality shave which won't cause razor bumps but I've never submitted myself to find out. My pops fucks with a safety razor, he didn't really get bumps but he's dark as night and literally hacks his face up.. no soap.. no cream. Don't even thing he uses water either, just strait jungle with it.

Have you tried TendSkin lotion? I've been using it for a few years, and it's the only thing that's worked for razor bumps for me. It's kind of expensive, and it burns as you apply it after you shave and your pores are open, but it works. You can find it on Amazon.com, or their own site, http://www.tendskin.com

You may be able to get it cheaper on Amazon though.