rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Great article about the playboys of yesteryear

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...%3Darticle

Article was written upon the death of Gunter Sachs at 78, who killed himself after developing alzheimer's.

"The German-born millionaire, womanizer, photographer, art collector and man-about-globe had followed the fast-living course of his life to its end: Better to go out with a bang than with a whimper"

Quote:Quote:

Evans says that the problem with the new-money players is that they're money-smart but culturally anemic. The 10-digit successes have come so fast for them that there's been no time—and, for most of them, no inclination—to pursue character-broadening hobbies like lepidoptery or oenology, or interests in Flemish paintings, Gregorian literature, the opera, learning new languages. No time to break Everest records for the Explorers Club or hunt black rhinos in Tanzania.

Have pity on the nouveau-riche playboys, for they know not what they do.

Good read.

You could make the same statements about rat race Americans. Except instead of 10-digit successes its, 5-digit incomes.

Quote: (03-23-2012 10:40 AM)Laser Wrote:  

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...%3Darticle

Article was written upon the death of Gunter Sachs at 78, who killed himself after developing alzheimer's.

"The German-born millionaire, womanizer, photographer, art collector and man-about-globe had followed the fast-living course of his life to its end: Better to go out with a bang than with a whimper"

Interesting read, thanks for sharing brah

Thank you for the article.

For further reading, I highly recommend:

The Last Playboy : the High Life of Porfirio Rubirosa by Shawn Levy

[[Image: gift4.jpg]]

This story was a great find. I'm going to share it with my guys. These are the kinds of guys we should be reading about here.

One interesting point that was made in the story was how all of these guys did marry at some point (many several times), yet still kept their game tight, and didn't really change their ways. Though Hugh Hefner hasn't aged quite as gracefully as the men in the story, he hasn't hesitated in the past to admit that he was a romantic. His actions, however, indicate that he's not exactly a chump either. He's gone a long time between marriages, and has dispensed with chicks after getting tired of them, and bringing in new recruits.

I think the one thing this story illustrates is that there has definitely been a loss of style. It isn't the first complaint I've ever heard about the difference between old and new money. People with money never talked about money (when the Johnson & Johnson heir Jamie Johnson made his documentary film, "Born Rich," about the monied crowd, he got some resistance from older relatives because they are uncomfortable speaking publicly about money). It's like the saying, "If you have ask how much it costs, you can't afford it." The new money crowd is more about flashing wealth. [/php]

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Cool but were these guys born with silver spoons in their mouths? How many actually made something happen for themselves? I could care less about some rich kid blowing his inherited money. Do I make sense? I like hearing about guys that came from nothing and didn't stop grinding.

Quote: (03-23-2012 05:38 PM)houston Wrote:  

Cool but were these guys born with silver spoons in their mouths? How many actually made something happen for themselves? I could care less about some rich kid blowing his inherited money. Do I make sense? I like hearing about guys that came from nothing and didn't stop grinding.

Same here ! Fuck those trust fund playboys.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

"Cool but were these guys born with silver spoons in their mouths? How many actually made something happen for themselves? I could care less about some rich kid blowing his inherited money. Do I make sense? I like hearing about guys that came from nothing and didn't stop grinding."

Gunter Sachs was the heir to the Opel auto fortune, but he expanded himself with that money. Gianni Agnelli was the heir to the Fiat automobile company, so he too was born into it I guess. But it was dying - he took it over and revived and saved it. Reinaldo Herrera was born into it, but his fashion designer wife, Carolina, perhaps rode him and his family fortune into her own thing. Porfirio Rubirosa married rich chicks, spent their money, but also leveraged their circles and connections into his own gig without working too much. Every other guy mentioned in the story built their own things from the ground up, be it in the movie business, music, etc. I can't blame someone for what they're born into, but you judge someone like that on what they do with it. Do they just coast and spend daddy's money, or do they learn the business and make it better, or use the resources to do their own thing?

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Is this thread some bait to get the Gmanifesto posting again?

Quote: (03-23-2012 05:38 PM)houston Wrote:  

Meanwhile one of the strokes that fell into an internet phenomena by starting Facebook drops 50K on bottle service is cool, right?

If you read the article these guys didn't drop stupid money to pick up broads.

Actually, that's the whole point of the article, how today's "playboys" are nothing like the classic "gentleman".

Awesome article. Yeah, it sucks to think that The Playboy is dead. It's a lifestyle that's about elegance. I see where Houston is coming from, and yeah, it's way more legit to make your own money. But whether you inherited it or made it yourself, it's about what you do with it.

Some of the most interesting men I've kicked with were trust fund kids. And yeah, I never respected them like I would have if they were really grinding, but they had great stories to share all the same.

Hotwheels - you getting an attitude with me? Slow your roll. Who said anything about Facebook? You sound like you're offended that I flip the bird to a trust fund baby.

The Facebook point was from the article.

Amazing article by the way. I'm going to read up on all the playboy's mentioned in it. I particularly like these bits:

"A world-class playboy once told me that the key to mesmerizing women is to listen to them and look deeply into their eyes. It was a lesson I've never forgotten. . . ."
"When money is everything, charm goes out the window." Evans differentiates between style, a good thing, and fashion, a superficial thing. "Style preceded fashion for these guys."

There's a lot to learn in those two.

I think the problem is, most men can't "listen to them and look deeply into their eyes" for more than a few minutes. You really need to work at it. Especially if the target is going on and on about something you care nothing about.

Quote: (03-24-2012 07:02 AM)ColSpanker Wrote:  

I think the problem is, most men can't "listen to them and look deeply into their eyes" for more than a few minutes. You really need to work at it. Especially if the target is going on and on about something you care nothing about.

Bro tip: Repeat what they tell you back to them, but reword it all to make it seem like an original insight of yours, where it's actually the same shit regurgitated. I read about that in a study and applied it in conversations. Build rapport like a charm. "OMG exactly!" Also great for making teachers think you understand the material a lot better than you actually do.

Dude's pimp. Who cares if he came from money

Quote: (03-24-2012 06:39 AM)P Dog Wrote:  

The Facebook point was from the article.

Amazing article by the way. I'm going to read up on all the playboy's mentioned in it. I particularly like these bits:

"A world-class playboy once told me that the key to mesmerizing women is to listen to them and look deeply into their eyes. It was a lesson I've never forgotten. . . ."
"When money is everything, charm goes out the window." Evans differentiates between style, a good thing, and fashion, a superficial thing. "Style preceded fashion for these guys."

There's a lot to learn in those two.

Yup, the "mesmorizing women" comment was the thing I also noted most about the article, which was great. Amazing how the simplest advice is often the best.

About the inherited wealth of these guys... I don't like it either, because the article makes it out as a prerequisite (too Euro for my taste). But you have to consider 50 years ago these were the only guys who could take advantage of the new Jet society to run around the world. (and maybe some stewardesses and pilots). Only a few people had the time and money to fill 707s and the guys in the article were the first.