rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Whole Milk & Health Issues

I know a lot of guys here are on the Starting Strength lifting program and have been drinking a gallon of milk a day - anyone seen any corresponding health problems cropping up?

"You must drink a gallon of milk a day, its almost mandatory" "I'm lactose intolerant can I eat yogurt instead?" "Gallon of yogurt" - Mark Rippetoe

I'm not one to argue with the great and powerful Rippetoe but the gallon of.milk a day does sound like an iffy old school idea but if you look at the macronutrient breakdown I'm sure you could supplement with other foods.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Just drink raw milk, you'll have less problems digesting it.

At one point I was drinking just under a gallon a day, though have recently quit milk altogether(I don't like the female hormones in it). Now that I think about it back when drinking tons of milk my workouts were better but it was almost purely cardio. Now I do more lifting and less cardio -- milk might be a good thing to get back into because the lack or female hormones hasn't shown me any considerable difference.

The gas must get ridiculous. I'd rather be slightly smaller than endure that

Apparently milk is one of the few foods that negatively affect your skin because of the hormones. If you don't have a problem with acne, which i'm assuming most older guys don't, then it is not a big deal. Otherwise you may want to look into reducing your intake

Quote: (03-12-2012 04:11 PM)canucktraveller Wrote:  

Apparently milk is one of the few foods that negatively affect your skin because of the hormones. If you don't have a problem with acne, which i'm assuming most older guys don't, then it is not a big deal. Otherwise you may want to look into reducing your intake

I have light acne but haven't seen any big flare-ups in the 2 weeks I've been going hard on milk. I'm not up to a full gallon yet, though, so we'll see.

Also, FYI, my acne died down significantly when I stopped using anything to treat it. And I tried everything: commercial cleaners, ACV, all that. I never had the painful pizza face acne, but still, I was pimply. Now I just wash my face with cold water in the morning and at night and my skin is the best it's ever been. Maybe primarily a function of age, but who knows.

Raw milk gents. It's unbelievably healthy and delicious.

Isn't there some problem with bovine growth hormones?

I did it once for two days, 3/4 gallon per day. I lost my voice, could hardly talk.

It's not for me, but I don't knock it. It might work for you.

I did it for about a month a while back. Takes a few days to get your bowels adjusted but then it's fine. Had more problems trying not to throw up after downing 1 liter, sitting down helps... [Image: biggrin.gif]

Now I just drink between 1-2 liters per day, no problems at all.

You have to work your way up. Startup w/ a quarter gallon and increase 1/4 gallon every week until you are up to a gallon. I did it for quite a while, going from 125lbs to 190lbs. I had no health issues, other than gaining some fat along w/ the muscle. I was doing jiu jitsu regularly, so kept my cardio up. Also, I'm lactose intolerant, so I was drinking lactaid, which is lactose free milk. No gas problems after switching.

Milk is quite rank on your guts. If your doing this go the raw or organic route as normal milk is pumped full of dirty hormones. I assume the natural (good) bacteria in raw milk must help with digestion ?

Imma milk drinking mother fucker. Grew up drinking it whole, and can't stand that skim stuff. You guys would shit if you saw how much I'll drink after waking up hungover. My body craves it, although it doesn't curve the hangover. I'll make a beeline for the fridge, and drink it straight out of the jug. I don't drink a gallon a day, but sometimes I go stints where I don't drink it, due to geographical location. I never noticed any real change coming on or going off it. Probably contributes to gaining a couple of pounds when I go home. That or the beer.

Quote: (03-25-2012 05:32 AM)Laser Wrote:  

You have to work your way up. Startup w/ a quarter gallon and increase 1/4 gallon every week until you are up to a gallon. I did it for quite a while, going from 125lbs to 190lbs. I had no health issues, other than gaining some fat along w/ the muscle. I was doing jiu jitsu regularly, so kept my cardio up. Also, I'm lactose intolerant, so I was drinking lactaid, which is lactose free milk. No gas problems after switching.

How old were you when you went from 125 to 190?

Quote: (03-25-2012 03:15 PM)babelfish669 Wrote:  

Quote: (03-25-2012 05:32 AM)Laser Wrote:  

How old were you when you went from 125 to 190?

Quote: (03-25-2012 01:04 PM)kosko Wrote:  

Milk is quite rank on your guts. If your doing this go the raw or organic route as normal milk is pumped full of dirty hormones. I assume the natural (good) bacteria in raw milk must help with digestion ?

Yup exactly. I am lactose intolerant and if I have regular milk I'll be tooting for hours. But I drink raw milk almost daily and no digestive problems whatsoever.

Sorry guys, what is raw milk? What's the difference?

"Colt 45 and two zigzags, baby that's all we need" - Ronald Reagan

Quote: (03-25-2012 06:10 PM)Walnuts Wrote:  

Sorry guys, what is raw milk? What's the difference?

It's not pasteurized. When the milk is heated it kills off all the good bacteria present in it. Big Farm Co.s has to do this since the majority of dairy cows are sick and their milk is full of fucked up shit (I read that " healthy " cow can not produce milk at the rates that mass production forces them. Most milk cows die early because the process is so rank on their bodies).

The nanny Govt forces pasteurization which I am cool with BUT they make it illegal for people to have the choice to purchase or produce it on their own. IMO I don't see the benefits of pasteurized milk other than a tasty drink or a gut bomb to maintain weight. Yes calcium and vitamin D are important but the Vit- D is added in and supposedly an enzyme that helps you absorb the calcium from milk gets killed off in the heat - so what is left ?

Raw or fermented milk is for sure the way to go. We need those good bacteria.

Oh.

Raw milk is not good for you bro. There's a reason we pasteurise it. It can become contaminated in so many ways, not to mention the abundance of pathogens already present in the milk. Yeah pasteurisation deforms some enzymes, but that's still better than risking food poisoning.

Kosko has got it right, it totally depends on the source of the milk. If the cows are well taken care of, grass fed, etc. the danger from raw milk in very minimal. I've been drinking it for years with no problems whatsoever.

The reason we pasteurize it is because milk from cows on corporate large scale farms is usually dirty.

A gallon of milk sounds like a pretty extreme amount of sugar to be taking in every day......
Any studies done on the long term affects of drinking a GALLON of milk a day?

Quote: (03-25-2012 10:16 PM)travolta Wrote:  

A gallon of milk sounds like a pretty extreme amount of sugar to be taking in every day......
Any studies done on the long term affects of drinking a GALLON of milk a day?

You are not supposed to do it long term, only for about a month. And it is meant for skinny teenagers.

Can't be worse than all the junk food people eat every day though. If you do it for a short time your body will be able to handle it.

ok, that makes sense. I've heard that drinking 2 glasses (16oz) of chocolate milk after a workout is the ideal post workout meal, but never about drinking a gallon per day. I'm sure that drinking a gallon per day would do wonders for a skinny teenager looking to put on weight. Once I drank a gallon of whole milk in a 15 minute time frame (long story), and wasn't shitting right for a week.

Hahahaha travolta.

When I was a kid we would sometimes have the gallon challenge with kids from my neighbourhood.

2 kids. 1 on 1. First to finish a gallon of whole milk wins.

Nobody ever won. They just hurled everywhere after a half gallon.

Ahhh good times.