rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Health: Almond milk

Actually only discovered this the other day. ive always liked almonds but never knew there was an actual "milk" product made from it. Since the majority of you guys are into raw foods and paleo type/healthy diets i thought id share. I was watching the video thinking "how the fuck can you make almond milk?,like is it almonds added to milk lol.

its actually so easy to make.

1.buy a small bag of almonds (not expensive)
2.soak overnight in water
3.blend the next day with the water.
4.drain excess milk through a sieve/bag and collect residue.
5.BOOM fucking almond milk bitch.

it tastes pretty good and is not watery at all as you would imagine,its kind of creamy.its also a great alternative to normal cows milk. Lots of exogenous hormones are found in cows milk,such as estrogen which you could be drinking!. Ive drank normal cows milk for years then stopped because of this. Also almond milk has a better nutritional profile than regular cows milk which is a win win if your health conscious and watching your diet. add a drop of almond extract/vanilla extract to taste.

Excellent post. I bought some Almond Milk from the supermarket today funnily enough, but I didn't realise making your own was so simple. Love it, I shall be doing that all the time from now on.

I used to use almond milk and fruit with protein shakes after a workout. Almond milk is great.

I approve almond milk. That's the only milk I buy.

its probably cheaper to make your own!

how much you paying per carton?

I've heard a lot of people, especially in the paleo camp, promote almond milk, I never realized it was that easy to make though.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

I've made it myself a couple times. Look up some recipes, and try adding a little vanilla extract. I forget the exact details, but the more you grind it, the finer the milk will be. And the milk can separate a little unlike the store versions, but it will be cheaper and as natural as you care to make it.

It can have a little bit of a grainy/sandy taste to it, imagine a little of almond pulp in your milk. Still not that bad though.

You'll want to blanch the almonds - the peels are a little bitter. Fortunately, this is very easy. Link. You basically cook them for 1 minute in boiling water, and then drain them. Then the peels come off very easily, it's kinda fun to take them off.

I read that raw almonds are the healthiest, but it's next to impossible to get your hands on them because there was a salmonella outbreak once so the government has made it hard to sell raw almonds. The ones you see as raw were almost assuredly steamed.

hm, sounds good. gonna start drinking some of this shit every morning with my coffee. does it have more protein than regular milk though?

When she was squeezing that bag, I was like OWW!

Hell yeah. I put it in my oatmeal every morning.

Also, eat the residue.

I find the almond milk to be somewhat gummy in texture, and i like the lighter texture of skim milk. On the other hand, its still pretty good and low in bad fat.

Only good if youre not allergic like I am but if you wanna go ultra healthy try raw milk, itll break the bank but the health benefits blow any of the other milk products outta the water.

I live on almond milk and hemp milk.

Great to mix in protein shakes.

Once you mix your protein in almond milk, you'll never go back.

What brands of do you recommend on the "off the shelf" variety?

Blue Diamond Almond Breeze.

Living Harvest Tempt Hemp Milk, Unsweetened Original.

Quote: (03-12-2012 10:18 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Blue Diamond Almond Breeze.

Living Harvest Tempt Hemp Milk, Unsweetened Original.

Nice. Thanks.

Sold.

Quote: (03-12-2012 09:47 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

I live on almond milk and hemp milk.

Great to mix in protein shakes.

Once you mix your protein in almond milk, you'll never go back.

Literally just made my first almond milk based protein shake and was drinking it while opening this thread. The very subtle nutty flavor the almond milk has makes WORLDS of difference in taste.

It also feels "smoother" too, if that makes sense.

Im digging it because at 1g of net carbs per 8oz serving, its VERY atkins friendly.

Chef In Jeans

Almond and hemp milk have different fatty-acid profiles. Both are good, but different, so use both.

Hemp has a "grassier" flavor. If you're OK with green team, hemp milk will taste fine.

anyone have any good smoothie recipes that use almond milk that i can make for breakfast on the go?

Quote: (03-13-2012 06:50 PM)the chef Wrote:  

anyone have any good smoothie recipes that use almond milk that i can make for breakfast on the go?

Your call on the proportions:

-cantaloop or fruit of your choice
-almond milk
-ice (optional)
-protein powder
-eggs or egg whites

blend and go

Mike, have you tried coconut milk in a protein shake? I put some in my strawberry/banana flavoured one, it was UNREAL.

The issue I have with almond milk is that it only has 1g of protein per serving, as opposed to 8g with skim milk, with only a 30 calorie difference. I only drink milk after my workouts and before bed, so it makes more sense to stick with the skim milk.

Quote: (03-13-2012 06:50 PM)the chef Wrote:  

Im working on figuring out a low carb answer to this, specifically an Atkins friendly answer thats REALLY low carb. I'll have an answer in a week or so

Chef In Jeans

Low-carb:
Almond milk
100% raw cocoa (use 1 T of these, goes a long way)
Coconut flakes (these are good)
Protein powder of choice.

I have about a dozen other ones.