rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Damon Dash: Fallen Mogul

Read this article about him in the WSJ a few days ago. Quite a departure from his "Big Pimpin" days with Jay-Z several years ago.

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/02/16/hi...s-on-asia/

Still can't forget this:

or this business report:

At least he's still on his grind. More power to him.

His new project sounds a bit hodge-podge to be honest. We'll see how it works out.

Still, he got Rachel Roy, Aaliyah, and was instrumental in the release of several classic rap albums, all by his late 30s. Amazing really.

He'll make something happen for sho

Steve Stoute broke it down not too long ago as to why Dash is struggling.

http://youtu.be/QF_d3KHFjk4?t=6m21s

Bottom line: don't be a dick.

Yes Dames attitude got the worst of him. A brazzen Antelope trying to lead lions. You contrast him and Diddy, Diddy always put lesser people out there, he always was in control. Dame tried to lead a herd of Alphas and they punked him. The minute Jay could not see him as a equal on all fronts he jumped ship. I looked up to Dame growing up, he perceived to be. Living the lifestyle and banging the broads I wanted. His new venture does sound really weak but for him he adds credibility to the Asian hip-hop market. He can cake of his name/image alone there even if he has taken tumbles domestically.

Dames biggest downfall IMO was not being innovative enough. He had probably the most lucrative roster in hip-hop and still relied on conventional means to make cash. They were doing all sorts of business deals and branding but he could of figured out a way to cut up that pie better, push harder for internet content and giving that cash to his artists or something. The mess at the ROC got way to big for one man to try and control. To much ego and money will crumble any empire if there is not a common goal that keeps evreybody in check.

I don't know if I'd call him a "fallen" mogul just yet. I do think he ego had a huge part in what happened to him previously though.

I've had the chance to work with people involved with DD172, it's a breath a fresh air. The successes that i've seen at his new venture have come from very talented artists who didn't get "push" they needed. At the same time these artists have been receiving business mentoring from Dame himself. I think from a marketing point of view, he's still a brilliant dude. Though my experiences have been with the artists working under that umbrella and not Dash himself. I'm glad he brought Ski Beatz back up to the limelight....dude is still a beast.

If I can recall correctly, the straw that broke the camel's back with Jay was him signing ODB without consulting with him first. There was also a conflict with RZA that didn't help. You have to respect what him and Jay did with Roc-A-Fella, but at the end you had to wonder how much of it really had to do with Damon. There's a reason why HE got cashed out of Rocawear, and why Jay ended up the President of a label.

He commented about spreading himself too thin. He's right, and he's not the only one guilty of that. Now, the belief is you HAVE to have your own clothing label, your own fragrance, your own liquor, etc. etc. It's great if you can do all of those things well, but most can't. Diddy actually made some of the same mistakes at Bad Boy - he had a nice roster of artists at one point, but devoted all of his attention to one. He had artists signed, but he shelved them, and ended up fighting lawsuits because artists wanted their freedom. When he lost Biggie, he really didn't have anything on the music side. To his credit, he has a talent for the apparel business. He thought bigger than most - not just hoodies and jeans, but suits, furs, etc. and he's won awards for his clothes. He was able to parlay that into acting and actually promoting himself as a talent. Most can't pull that off. I think you should build a foundation on what you do well, then branch off into other businesses.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."