rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Southbound Moma

Southbound Moma

Okay guys, as you know, I've been ranting and raving about how Toronto cramps my style and I finally got my shyt (immigrant visa approved) and I have six months to get out of dodge.

I have fam in Miami hence I can stay there rent free while I get my shyt together. Ideally, I would like to hit the ground running with a job.

I would like to live/work in Atlanta. Tampa would be of interest also but it's all about how much money they gonna pay.

Socially, I don't want to encounter any of that racism that one can experience in the U.S. This means places like Alabama, Mississippi (unless it's not as bad as I've heard) is out of the question for me. I don't need it.

Socially, I don't need an area infested with thugs nor ghetto-fied lizards. My preference is black lizards so a place infested with them (as long as they not that ghetto nonsense but DTF) wouldn't be a bad thing for me. Ultimately though, if the money is right, I am not too concerned (with reason) on the type of environment that I live with. All options are open for consideration.

My field is IT (MCSE 2003) although I am leaning towards some kind of business (I've been looking into import/export) as I would like the time freed up to travel more.

I have a British accent so some people have said that in a customer facing job, Americans tend to trust cats with British accents more. I've been told Americans feel it conveys professionalism and class.

Can anyone provide any leads or advice in this move? I'm ready to chew on the United States.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

Yeah, ATL sounds like your spot.

And I would agree, a British accent is good for biz in America.

Basically for the reasons you said.

Southbound Moma

Finally moving, well done Moma.

Yeah i think Atlanta should be your spot ( I never been there but according to what i have heard it fits your description).

So you are only into classy women, you are not into rude girls type of chicks?

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-14-2012 04:16 AM)pitt Wrote:  

Finally moving, well done Moma.

Yeah i think Atlanta should be your spot ( I never been there but according to what i have heard it fits your description).

So you are only into classy women, you are not into rude girls type of chicks?

Well rude girls don't have any limit. They can be fun but then they can be a lot of hassle and possibly have baby fadda drama or be into fights and I really don't need it.

If I needed ghetto shyt, I would have stayed put in South London because truss me, there was plenty of that nonsense there.

Came across the pond to make my fortune and enjoy life while I can.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

My primary concern in this thread is in advice on the best way to pull off this move. Insights on jobs to begin with, with business ventures as a long term goal. I am really about making some very substantial money but balancing work with play.

I want to go forward not backwards and I don't want to stagnate either.[/align]

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

The City Data forum has a lot of informaiton

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Southbound Moma

Considering your interests and goals, I think Atlanta is perhaps the best choice you can make.

I grew up there, and visit regularly , so I can speak with some authority on this.

First of all, Atl is a thriving business city-if you have IT skills or want to be an entrepreneur and do import/ export it's an excellent location

Atl airport is a major international hub

Atl has a great male/ female ratio -lots of women- when you go out you will find the ratio in night spots to be often very favorable. The nightlife in general is good.

In particular, it has a very large number of educated, middle class, attractive black women. There is a man shortage among these women because there aren't enough black guys of similar status to satisfy the demand. As a black guy with a british accent you will kill it with these women as long as you dress well and appear to have your financial shit together. Notice I said "appear"- image is a big deal in Atl, especially with black women. Fake it til you make it!

The nice areas of Atl are in the northern half of the city-north of I-20. Although there are black middle class enclaves in the southern part of town, a lot of that area is ghettoish.These are high crime areas. Many affluent people live in the suburbs but be aware the commute between Atl and the suburbs can be time consuming because traffic is bad. Atl has a lot of large luxury apt complexes and townhouses to rent. Research an area you are considering carefully online and by talking to local people before you commit to a lease.

Racism- I wouldn't worry much about this at all in Atl. It is a multi cultural city, and although there are political power struggles between the racial groups you are unlikely to encounter much random racism on a personal level. A white person is much more likely to be the victim of hostility, harassment, discrimination and violence in a majority black area than a black person is in a majority white area. I know this fact is not allowed to be discussed under the rules of political correctness, but it is the truth. In general, people in Atl are more polite and friendlier than in most major US cities.

In sum, if you want business/ entrepreneurial opportunities in an enjoyable city with good weather, Atl is an excellent choice.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Southbound Moma

MrXy, then my next course of action is to start firing out resumes to companies in that area then. Monster.com and Workopolis, yea?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

Moma are you going to get a car? You need a car in Fl for sure. I will also tell you that I think Atlanta sucks balls and would never consider living there. Once you get introduced to the water/tropical culture here places like that seem like a joke. If you want a list of local tech companies here and contact let me know. Floridas job market isn't all that but also is very easy to get your own thing going as well as exporting.

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-14-2012 01:56 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Moma are you going to get a car? You need a car in Fl for sure. I will also tell you that I think Atlanta sucks balls and would never consider living there. Once you get introduced to the water/tropical culture here places like that seem like a joke. If you want a list of local tech companies here and contact let me know. Floridas job market isn't all that but also is very easy to get your own thing going as well as exporting.

I will have to get a car but money is the first priority, el mechanico. I'd appreciate any assistance on that. Explain however, why Atlanta sucks balls. I just spoke to a fam member who lives stateside and he said money should be my number one priority.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-13-2012 08:54 PM)Moma Wrote:  

Okay guys, as you know, I've been ranting and raving about how Toronto cramps my style and I finally got my shyt (immigrant visa approved) and I have six months to get out of dodge.

I have fam in Miami hence I can stay there rent free while I get my shyt together. Ideally, I would like to hit the ground running with a job.

I would like to live/work in Atlanta. Tampa would be of interest also but it's all about how much money they gonna pay.

Socially, I don't want to encounter any of that racism that one can experience in the U.S. This means places like Alabama, Mississippi (unless it's not as bad as I've heard) is out of the question for me. I don't need it.

Socially, I don't need an area infested with thugs nor ghetto-fied lizards. My preference is black lizards so a place infested with them (as long as they not that ghetto nonsense but DTF) wouldn't be a bad thing for me. Ultimately though, if the money is right, I am not too concerned (with reason) on the type of environment that I live with. All options are open for consideration.

My field is IT (MCSE 2003) although I am leaning towards some kind of business (I've been looking into import/export) as I would like the time freed up to travel more.

I have a British accent so some people have said that in a customer facing job, Americans tend to trust cats with British accents more. I've been told Americans feel it conveys professionalism and class.

Can anyone provide any leads or advice in this move? I'm ready to chew on the United States.

How did you secure a visa to the US? I'm a Canadian citizen who's also been considering moving to the states, but they don't accept Canadians in the diversity lottery.

What's your qualm with Toronto, from my experience it seems to be one of the few Canadian cities I find to be tolerable for non caucasians/asians in terms of culture.

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 10:49 AM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

How did you secure a visa to the US? I'm a Canadian citizen who's also been considering moving to the states, but they don't accept Canadians in the diversity lottery.

What's your qualm with Toronto, from my experience it seems to be one of the few Canadian cities I find to be tolerable for non caucasians/asians in terms of culture.

I got fam in the US that applied on my behalf. What other Canadian cities have you experienced culture wise? I assume you are non caucasian?

I find it very hard to make good money in Toronto. I am not the only one. I thought maybe it was just a flaw on me until one of my friends who had been living in the U.S for years came here with high hopes and got shot down like a fat pigeon. Most of the cats I know, are just doing okay on the 9 to 5 shyt. Middle class living. Leveraging debts and flossing like they bosses. Most people I know here who do have something aside, either lived with their parents for ages (or still do) or live with their lizard.
Fcuk dat dependence shyt. As a man, it's dangerous for me to get into zone on leveraging off of parents or lizards. Did it before and got sweetly fcuked.

The worse thing is, my American neighbours are waving their flash cash in my face every time I go.
I don't drive here not because I am averse to cars but because I find the cost of insurance (anywhere from 200 dollars a month to 400 a month) excessive. Throw in gas on top of that shyt and it becomes ridiculous.

Meanwhile, cats in the U.S work in Dinky Donuts and can afford to drive a car without too much hassle.

EVERY person I know who moved to the US is making dollars. I'm not jaded. I don't imagine the US is this nirvana. Probably teeming with assholes and scoundrels. But I never crossed the pond for this Mickey Mouse shyt I've experienced in Toronto.
I tried applying for work in other places in Canada initially. No response.
I am a Canadian citizen anyway so I can always return.
It's time for the US to taste some Momalade.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 11:14 AM)Moma Wrote:  

Quote: (02-15-2012 10:49 AM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

I got fam in the US that applied on my behalf. What other Canadian cities have you experienced culture wise? I assume you are non caucasian?

I find it very hard to make good money in Toronto. I am not the only one. I thought maybe it was just a flaw on me until one of my friends who had been living in the U.S for years came here with high hopes and got shot down like a fat pigeon. Most of the cats I know, are just doing okay on the 9 to 5 shyt. Middle class living. Leveraging debts and flossing like they bosses. Most people I know here who do have something aside, either lived with their parents for ages (or still do) or live with their lizard.
Fcuk dat dependence shyt. As a man, it's dangerous for me to get into zone on leveraging off of parents or lizards. Did it before and got sweetly fcuked.

The worse thing is, my American neighbours are waving their flash cash in my face every time I go.
I don't drive here not because I am averse to cars but because I find the cost of insurance (anywhere from 200 dollars a month to 400 a month) excessive. Throw in gas on top of that shyt and it becomes ridiculous.

Meanwhile, cats in the U.S work in Dinky Donuts and can afford to drive a car without too much hassle.

EVERY person I know who moved to the US is making dollars. I'm not jaded. I don't imagine the US is this nirvana. Probably teeming with assholes and scoundrels. But I never crossed the pond for this Mickey Mouse shyt I've experienced in Toronto.
I tried applying for work in other places in Canada initially. No response.
I am a Canadian citizen anyway so I can always return.
It's time for the US to taste some Momalade.

I'm mixed race black/white. I've been to most major Canadian cities, Calgary, Alberta, Halifax, Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo and I find the culture of Toronto to be the most tolerable (not accepting, just tolerable).

I have a business degree in Econ, with some other certificates on the side. In terms of the job market, I have a ok paying job (high 50s low 60s) but it's not stable. As with most Canadians my age I'm knee deep in debt (Student loans, credit card you name it). Been trying to better my situation. Been to some recruiters for career opportunities and during most interviews I've asked for a comparable salary to what I make now (I usually quote 60k) and I'm laughed at. "You want 60k?" All we can offer is 35-45k. So I figure I'm fucked if my company is taken over or I get laid off, a very likely possibility I work for a tiny firm.

It's almost as if the whole Toronto Job market is stuck at 35-60k jobs.

I live alone to boot. No lizard, no parents. I'm all about self reliance. Been thinking about Oil Sands, USA, or any other boom region looking for willing workers.

Tried doing the lottery visa, no luck, as a Canadian citizen I'm automatically rejected.

Maybe I should try to find a US employer. Or even look at some other countries or suck it up and move to Alberta.

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 11:57 AM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

I'm mixed race black/white. I've been to most major Canadian cities, Calgary, Alberta, Halifax, Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo and I find the culture of Toronto to be the most tolerable (not accepting, just tolerable).

I have a business degree in Econ, with some other certificates on the side. In terms of the job market, I have a ok paying job (high 50s low 60s) but it's not stable. As with most Canadians my age I'm knee deep in debt (Student loans, credit card you name it). Been trying to better my situation. Been to some recruiters for career opportunities and during most interviews I've asked for a comparable salary to what I make now (I usually quote 60k) and I'm laughed at. "You want 60k?" All we can offer is 35-45k. So I figure I'm fucked if my company is taken over or I get laid off, a very likely possibility I work for a tiny firm.

It's almost as if the whole Toronto Job market is stuck at 35-60k jobs.

I live alone to boot. No lizard, no parents. I'm all about self reliance. Been thinking about Oil Sands, USA, or any other boom region looking for willing workers.

Tried doing the lottery visa, no luck, as a Canadian citizen I'm automatically rejected.

Maybe I should try to find a US employer. Or even look at some other countries or suck it up and move to Alberta.

You really should try a US employer. That's the only way I can think of besides marrying a US lizard. Either that or Alberta. I've heard Saskatoon is supposed to be booming or is that more Canadian propaganda?

I'm glad you see where I am coming from. I think a lot of cats in the US don't see that we are really starving up here.

I always keep it real. A lot of Canadians like to just pretend everything is hunky dory so as not to admit that the Americans have won.
Fcuk dat.

Practically everyone says I have the golden ticket (Willy Wonka) when i told them I got the visa. Why is that, pray tell?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

Moma, you will be working full time, building your fortune while balancing social activities all at the same time? Good luck with that my man.

I work entirely on my own business and I am working 7 days a week and I am happy to just work 8 hours (more like 12 to 15 hours) a day. I have been doing that for the past 5 years but the payout can/is huge. Things are slowing down finally.

If you can find a way to make your fortune while balancing everything definitely post how. Fortune tends to mean different things to people so maybe you can pull it off. I don't think I could maintain a very good balance but my main objective was to bust ass for 5 years and cash out big.

Good luck in the US. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot more.

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 04:30 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Moma, you will be working full time, building your fortune while balancing social activities all at the same time? Good luck with that my man.

I work entirely on my own business and I am working 7 days a week and I am happy to just work 8 hours a day. I have been doing that for the past 5 years but the payout can/is huge. Things are slowing down finally since I am hiring others to do most of my work.

If you can find a way to make your fortune while balancing everything definitely post how.

Good luck in the US. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot more.

Dude, I've been doing that here (Canada) since I got here. Struggling, hustling, trying to carve out big things, not realising that Toronto is SOLELY a social network operational base made things quite difficult. Without social activities factored in, one will just crap out if they try and buss their ass relentlessly. I am very low maintenance remember I grew up in London, England on a budget. A little puzzy attached to a ripe onion here and there, some laughs surrounded by positive minded people and health, love and bob's your uncle.

Thanks for the well wishes though.

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

You're going to need to go through El's becoming an American boot camp.

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 04:35 PM)Moma Wrote:  

Dude, I've been doing that here (Canada) since I got here. Struggling, hustling, trying to carve out big things, not realising that Toronto is SOLELY a social network operational base made things quite difficult. Without social activities factored in, one will just crap out if they try and buss their ass relentlessly. I am very low maintenance remember I grew up in London, England on a budget. A little puzzy attached to a ripe onion here and there, some laughs surrounded by positive minded people and health, love and bob's your uncle.

I hear ya. I don't think I could have accomplished what I have if I was working full time. Especially when you look at the work culture here in America.

I was in IT myself and I worked a lot of hours. That was why I ended up going the consulting route. If they wanted to abuse me by making me work all those hours they were going to pay.

Eventually, I realized I was spinning my wheels and decided to put those hours into something of my own.

There was no way I could balance all those things. Just not enough time in the day.

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 04:46 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (02-15-2012 04:35 PM)Moma Wrote:  

I hear ya. I don't think I could have accomplished what I have if I was working full time. Especially when you look at the work culture here in America.

I was in IT myself and I worked a lot of hours. That was why I ended up going the consulting route. If they wanted to abuse me by making me work all those hours they were going to pay.

Eventually, I realized I was spinning my wheels and decided to put those hours into something of my own.

There was no way I could balance all those things. Just not enough time in the day.

What country are you based out of now and are you into your business full time? If so, do you mind sharing what type of business it is?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 04:38 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

You're going to need to go through El's becoming an American boot camp.

El, you need to video tape this. I can see a whole line of products you can sell online.

Ok Cupid boot camp.
Stripper Fuck bootcamp.
Jail Bangs Bootcamp.
Change IPhone service bootcamp.

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 04:47 PM)Moma Wrote:  

What country are you based out of now and are you into your business full time? If so, do you mind sharing what type of business it is?

I have been in the US for the past 4 or so years. Yeah, I work solely on my business. Hell, I feel sometimes I am working two full time jobs. ha

Software for niche markets. I had a lot of experience and I love the fact I can run this from anywhere in the world. I do everything online.

Later this year, I will be heading to Atlanta for more investment reasons. I am going to look into setting up a lending company for real estate investors. Hard money...

Atlanta has a fast foreclosure process which makes it ideal for being a lender.

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 04:55 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (02-15-2012 04:47 PM)Moma Wrote:  

I have been in the US for the past 4 or so years. Yeah, I work solely on my business. Hell, I feel sometimes I am working two full time jobs. ha

Software for niche markets. I had a lot of experience and I love the fact I can run this from anywhere in the world. I do everything online.

Later this year, I will be heading to Atlanta for more investment reasons. I am going to look into setting up a lending company for real estate investors. Hard money...

Atlanta has a fast foreclosure process which makes it ideal for being a lender.

What country did you come from prior?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 04:56 PM)Moma Wrote:  

What country did you come from prior?

I'm American but lived in other countries.

Southbound Moma

Here this is local. The it people there act like they're in High school(fuck around)
http://jobs.raymondjames.com/
Hospital jobs
https://baycare.taleo.net/careersection/...tl?lang=en
Work for the Seminole indians(casino lots of fine big butts to slay)
http://www.semtribe.com/Employment/
Chase has a huge place in Tampahttps://careers.jpmorganchase.com/cm/ContentServer?pagename=JPM_Career/Utilities/Href&urlname=careerhome
Jabil in Tampa
http://origin-www.jabil.com/careers/

I think you should come here and help live my life long dream of having a pizza slice/beer bar

Southbound Moma

Quote: (02-15-2012 05:04 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Here this is local. The it people there act like they're in High school(fuck around)
http://jobs.raymondjames.com/
Hospital jobs
https://baycare.taleo.net/careersection/...tl?lang=en
Work for the Seminole indians(casino lots of fine big butts to slay)
http://www.semtribe.com/Employment/
Chase has a huge place in Tampahttps://careers.jpmorganchase.com/cm/ContentServer?pagename=JPM_Career/Utilities/Href&urlname=careerhome

I think you should come here and help live my life long dream of having a pizza slice/beer bar

At this point, I'm all about the legal cheddar, holmes!

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards