rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

US boosts passport fees, sets value of citizenship?

US boosts passport fees, sets value of citizenship

By MATTHEW LEE, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. citizenship is priceless to some, worthless to others. But now the State Department has a dollar figure: U.S. citizenship is worth $450.

At least that's what it will cost you to renounce it.

Under new consular fees published Thursday in the Federal Register, the cost of processing a formal renunciation of U.S. citizenship skyrocketed from $0 to $450. The announcement locks in fee hikes that had been proposed in 2010 and instituted on an interim basis.

The State Department doesn't say how or why it calculated the cost. Citizenship is free for most Americans who are accorded the privilege at birth. The department says only that it "has decided that the renunciant should pay this fee at the visit during which he or she swears the oath of renunciation."

It's also getting more expensive if you want to keep your U.S. citizenship and need a passport to prove it. The application fee for a passport is jumping by 27 percent, from $55 to $70 with a 100 percent increase, from $20 to $40, in the passport security surcharge.

In addition to the increase in the application fee, the department will now charge $82 — up from nothing — to add new pages to a U.S. passport. It says the fee is needed to offset the cost of the pages, the time spent affixing the pages into the passport book, endorsing the passport and performing a quality-control check.

And, registering the overseas birth of an American child is going up as well. It will now cost $100 to apply for a report of a birth abroad, up from $65.

The cost of getting a document notarized at a U.S. embassy abroad is also going up. The new price is $50 for a single page, up from $30, according to the new fee schedule.

Copyright © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

That's not the worst part, now if you plan to renunciate your citizenship, you have to pay 30% in taxes of the value of ALL your assets no matter where they are located. That law was signed into effect last year.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Apocalypse Cometh

Man, this is interesting. I wonder why all of a sudden...

I'm a little pissed I might have to pay $82 to get more pages put in my passport.

The government is ALWAYS trying to find little ways to generate revenue. The easiest way is to hike already existing fees, and dig for NEW things to charge you for. To find some little task of labor that they can nickel and dime you for. Someone that earns a salary is already performing these tasks, but I'll bet they aren't getting a raise!

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

Quote: (02-08-2012 07:51 PM)SimonRierdon Wrote:  

That's not the worst part, now if you plan to renunciate your citizenship, you have to pay 30% in taxes of the value of ALL your assets no matter where they are located.

This is incorrect.

Upon renouncing, the exit tax only applies to any unrealized gains you have - and this is only if you're a "covered expatriate". In order to be considered a covered expatriate, you need to have a net worth over $ 2,000,000, have an average tax liability of more than $ 145,000 per year for the last five years, or haven't paid your taxes for the last five years. There is also an exclusion for your first $ 626,000 of unrealized gains. Some of those numbers increase annually.

There is a 30% withholding you may need to deal with for deferred compensation (pensions, retirement accounts, stock options, etc.) you receive after expatriating.

@ EvilSteve - good catch

@ Timoteo - perhaps the Bush/Obama tax cuts will cause more of these types of user fees as a backdoor way of generating/recapturing revenues

Quote: (02-08-2012 08:08 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

I'm a little pissed I might have to pay $82 to get more pages put in my passport.

Damn, that used to be free!

Quote: (02-08-2012 08:47 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

International playboy tax.

Funny, I added pages to my passport book 2 years ago, and it was NOT free.

Mixx

Quote: (02-08-2012 08:25 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

@ EvilSteve - good catch

@ Timoteo - perhaps the Bush/Obama tax cuts will cause more of these types of user fees as a backdoor way of generating/recapturing revenues

Perhaps. Even local governments do this though. When Bloomberg became Mayor of New York, one of the first things he did was increase all parking/traffic fines - some were even DOUBLED. I'm sure any number of administrative fees went up also. Instant revenue boost. Put some money in your hand, while someone lifts your wallet out of your back pocket...HA HA!

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

/tinfoil hat on

I think the government knows that people would be moving out of the country in droves because of the shitty economic conditions. So to cash in on that, they'll create bullshit fees to renounce your citizenship or get a piece of your foreign income even after you relinquish it. If not, drones are gonna come out and find you by decree of NDAA.

/tinfoil hat off

Quote: (02-08-2012 09:08 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Mixx

Those passport pages fill up fast don't they? I added them to mine about 3 years ago when it was still free. I made the cutoff by a couple of months.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Quote: (02-08-2012 10:38 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

Quote: (02-08-2012 09:08 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Mixx

Those passport pages fill up fast don't they? I added them to mine about 3 years ago when it was still free. I made the cutoff by a couple of months.

The problem is that when I ask immigration officers in countries where to put my entry stamps to save space, they ALL give me dirty looks! wtf?

Mixx