rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Lying on Resume

Lying on Resume

Quote: (01-22-2012 10:58 PM)Alpha Wrote:  

I've actually written a post on how to build a boss awesome resume.

And don't lie on your resume.

If you put something on your resume that you can't do, eventually they will find out.

I saw your link. I agree with your resume length recommendation, but only for someone just starting out (entry-level, college grad, etc). For someone who has career experience (at least mid-level), going over a page is fine.

Formatting and detail can highlight your technical ability, which is a good thing if the job you are seeking calls for that.

As far as lying on your resume, I want to be more clear about that.

Definitely don't say you worked somewhere you've never worked, or attended a school you never attended, or possess a qualification you do not have. These type of lies can become easily discovered.

In fact, Notre Dame recently fired a football coach they had just hired who lied about possessing a master's degree during his entire coaching career which spanned decades. It's never too late to get fired.

However, there are people who have lied about these things and have yet to be detected. Some of them have had their careers for decades.

Also, you want your resume to highlight your successes (performance-related), not a mere listing of your tasks at each job; here is where the lying comes in.

By all means, exaggerate, embellish (I hate to use the word "lie") these successes. If you worked in sales and your efforts led to a 13% increase in productivity, increase that 33% or even higher, etc. Hell, even if you didn't increase productivity, say you did.

At the end of the day, it's all about looking better than the next man.

Just don't bite more than you can chew and you'll be fine. I trust most of you understand what that means and know what you have to do.

Messages In This Thread