rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Lying on Resume

Lying on Resume

Quote: (01-22-2012 10:38 PM)defguy Wrote:  

So Ive been looking for advice on updating my resume and Im startled at how many people are admitting to/justifying lying on their resume. I understand why they do it as some expectations from potential employers are too high (Ive heard some really funny stories like 5 yrs experience needed for a 2yr old program).

I wouldnt dare lie on any applications as I am certain I would get caught, but I can see extreme career growth potential if in a year from now I happen to be buddies with the HR guy at a reputable company or I work at a company where the policy is not to disclose any information other than verifying employment and dates of employment and I embellish my resume. Assuming Im not applying to jobs I cannot do and am in no way qualified for of course.

If you are applying to jobs you know your capable of doing it seems to be a victimless crime especially now that many degrees are all but useless. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Most successful people lie on their resume. I actually spoke with a judge about this not too long ago. He was the youngest judge I ever met in my life (early 30s) and works in family law court. He lied on his resume.

Most HR departments that conduct background checks only go so far. They'll confirm whether you've actually worked somewhere, look at tax records to see if you've lived in a state during a particular year, and ask your employer about your work behavior and whether they would rehire you.

Aside from that, you can generally lie about your position and even the dates of employment. This even works with federal government agencies.

Just don't get carried away. Don't mention something so extraordinary that it gets talked about around the office or brought up down the road should you get promoted, etc (your resume will get looked at again). Keep it simple, but you can embellish and even fabricate to present yourself in a better light. Just don't overdo it and use your best judgment. Hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread