rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Buying an entire wardrobe in Colombia: advice please

Buying an entire wardrobe in Colombia: advice please

Quote: (05-28-2014 02:42 AM)newgame Wrote:  

I will be in Bogota soon and I am looking to drop some cash on either some custom-made clothing or at least tailoring of high-quality items.

I'm wondering if you went ahead with your plans Scotian and if you have any recommendations? Or, does anyone else have tailor recommendations for Bogota?

I plan on at least getting:

2 Sport Jackets
4-6 Button Down Shirts
1 Suit (maybe 2 depending on price)
2 dress shoes (maybe more affordable in US?)

I bought a few things down there but didn't go all out as I had originally planned, I picked up two custom suits and four tailored dress shirts, I also bought a couple pairs of leather shoes, here's the break down:

Suits and shirts: Got all of these at a tailor called uillermo Ortiz, another member went there previously so I took his recommendation and was pleased with the results. They have a bunch of different types of materials and colours to choose from, I got two suits made of the most expensive wool (Chilean I think) and they each ran me 700.000 Peso, about $365 USD at today's rate, so not exactly cheap but the quality seems pretty good and they do have other, cheaper material to choose from. The shirts were 100K a pop and they are great, I must say, since I have a hard time finding shirts that fit me well off the rack back home, that I really like the shirts and get good use out of them.

Shoes are a decent bargain, leather and made in Colombia can be had for $40-150 USD.

Quote: (05-28-2014 04:15 AM)Deluge Wrote:  

Quote: (05-28-2014 02:42 AM)newgame Wrote:  

I will be in Bogota soon and I am looking to drop some cash on either some custom-made clothing or at least tailoring of high-quality items.

I'm wondering if you went ahead with your plans Scotian and if you have any recommendations? Or, does anyone else have tailor recommendations for Bogota?

I plan on at least getting:

2 Sport Jackets
4-6 Button Down Shirts
1 Suit (maybe 2 depending on price)
2 dress shoes (maybe more affordable in US?)

Take heed of Lothario's excellent advice.

Quote: (01-22-2012 03:10 PM)Lothario Wrote:  

Here are my 2 cents, build your wardrobe slowly, Don't just go out tomorrow and buy everything on you check list.

Don't go buying too much too quickly, give yourself time to settle into your new clothes. If you go and buy all of what you listed at once you're going to feel like you're wearing a costume with all this new shit on that you haven't grown accustom to yet.

Yes, I agree to Lothario's advice, don't buy too much

Quote: (05-28-2014 09:47 AM)Pete Wrote:  

Clothing in CO is pricey.

Yes and no, custom suits, shirts and shoes are cheaper, but if you're shopping in malls for brand name things like Levi jeans, then you're better off buying in the USA, that's what I usually do, I stock up on gear when I'm down in Florida.

Other considerations: Really do your homework when it comes to picking which style you want, I just walked into the place and didn't really know what I wanted and settled on what the tailor recommended "classic" style suits, they're not bad but the next one I pick up will be a more stylish cut. Also, make sure your Spanish is good so you can fully explain what you want because the tailors most likely won't speak any English. If you want, I can link you up with some bilingual Colombia-American guys in Bogota who will take you to a tailor for probably 50K pesos, PM me for their #s.

Messages In This Thread