rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone know an academic reference that explains the modern day concept of alpha male?

Anyone know an academic reference that explains the modern day concept of alpha male?

Quote: (12-17-2011 01:31 PM)adrian_D Wrote:  

Quote: (12-17-2011 11:48 AM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

Is this a master's thesis or just a final for a class? What department? I hope to god it's not gender studies. If it is, anything but bashing traditional masculinity will get you a D if you're lucky.

It's a final essay for a pre-master module in English Lit. However, the teacher also teaches gender studies - hence, I want to make sure i support whatever i say with solid argumentation.

I'm an econ/math double major, but I read a fair bit of gender studies related literature. I did what you are proposing, but for a required class in undergrad specifically titled "intro to the study of masculinities". Referenced evo-psych and even biology-based studies trying to explain how "hegemonic masculinity" is based in nature/genetics/evolution. I even gave stated that while masculinity has a foundation in nature, it may be constructed socially from that natural base. Thought it was a great paper. Got it back. D. My instructor, who I assumed was a gay male, basically wrote that there are empirical studies done in the field of gender studies, and I should have concentrated on those papers to support my argument. The thing is, almost all of those papers were "deconstructing" ie bashing modern day masculinity and saying it is all socially constructed. This was all from a guy who said he encouraged open discussion and claimed he had an open mind.

I ended up getting an A in the course, but only because I attended every class, participated, and every paper from then on I basically wrote things he said in class verbatim. I wouldn't risk your success in your masters program on one paper. If it weren't for a grade, I'd say go for it, but in this situation, he holds the power. I mean, you could go to the head of the department or dean and appeal your grade, but are you willing to do that for some bullshit class that isn't even a part of your masters curriculum? Crusade for your cause on a blog or outside academia, or when you become tenured, if your goal is to become a professor, but godamn it's not worth it right now. Your professor will not respect you for challenging his or her world view. He or she already has his/her mind set that masculinity and gender roles ARE socially constructed.

Or you could go ahead with it, and I would respect you for that, but unless your professor is REALLY REALLY REALLY cool, I doubt it will turn out any differently. I would talk to your professor about your thesis first, and if you sense the slightest bit of resistance, I would bail on it.

Messages In This Thread