rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Joining the US arm forces with a Bachelor Degree? Good Idea??

Joining the US arm forces with a Bachelor Degree? Good Idea??

I spent 6 years in the enlisted infantry right out of high school (98-04). Afterward I went to undergrad and grad school. Here is my take on joining the service:

If you are going to make a career of it, become an officer. The pay is crap for enlisted personnel.

If you are joining for a steady job and getting the military experience you should enlist. I would never trade my time spent as a grunt. I was stationed in Alaska for 4 years, got to drive out all the way to the east coast with my father, deployed to Japan, Iraq and all over the US. Made some of the best friends who understand what being a friend is really about.

The camraderie as an enlisted guy is unsurpassed, as an example I could have (and did) give my atm card and PIN to any of the guys in my unit, even ones I didn't hang out with often and ask them to grab me some cash and beer on their store run and I would get it back with the exact amount I requested withdrawn.

If you want to be an officer, you can enlist with an OCS contract (at least in the Army). I would go that route. You need to be selective in the job you choose. Don't just join up and take whatever they give you or suggest. Do the research. I would also reccomend avoiding jobs that are open to females. Those jobs suck and there is all sorts of dumbshit politics that affect your career track. In the Air Force, I would say a Ground Combat Controller or Para-Rescueman (PJ) is where it is at. In my unit if you had a problem with someone you called them out and wrestled or had a boxing match and put that stuff behind you... at a snatch unit you got counseling statements and sensitivity training.

And regarding the age thing a few guys that I went to Basic Training with were older than 30 and some of the best soldiers there.

Messages In This Thread