rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is New York City becoming like DC?

Is New York City becoming like DC?

Quote: (12-12-2011 08:09 AM)P Dog Wrote:  

Studio's in Manhattan south of 96th street (so no Harlem or Washington Heights) go for around $2000/month. Naturally it's higher for in demand hoods like the Village, SoHo and TriBeCa. If you're looking for a density of bars and (relatively) low rent try out the East Village or the Lower East Side.

There are some folk living on south of 96th on the UES in studios for less than 2k a month. They're really small though. I had a friend who used to live over on York south of 96th but north of 80th. Duke was only paying $900 for a studio (it was really small). Granted this was few years ago, now i'd say he's probably paying $1500. I know a bunch of cats on the west side paying below 2k for rent (but their rents are rising). I really feel you don't have to live in these prime areas if you want access to good nightlife. They're are plenty of places in The Bronx, Brooklyn and even Jersey City, where you can live well below your means and still cake up.

I went to college in the UES

Quote: (12-12-2011 05:24 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (12-12-2011 03:42 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

My experiences with the Lower East Side this year showed almost nothing but white hipsters. I saw far more hispanics in Astoria.

Humm..I guess they are finally kicking them out then. LES is primo realty if real estate developers can get a hold of land/buildings there.

Astoria has always been 90% Hispanic, mostly Colombians sprinkled with a few Central Americans.

Mixx

The LES has changed so much over the past ten years. I can remember as a kid hanging out at the nuyorican in 99-04, Yeah there was gentrification and hipsters back then but not at the full force that it's at now. About a month ago I got invited to a party The Thompson and I didn't know whether to be disgusted or not. I remember lot's of these blocks before they had gotten built up. Hell I remember getting thrown out of the mercury lounge because I was underage.

A good deal of the old LES is strictly in the projects or the subsidized/income regulated buildings. Lots of people had to move uptown or to The Bronx, to neighborhoods like university heights, mott haven, morrisania, fordham etc.

with the LES you still have pockets of hood blocks, barbershops, shelters but its changing. You can still find a lot of this stuff around ave C.

Yeah there are lots of Colombians still out there in Astoria, but it's still a haven for hipsters, lots of Mexicans out there now too.

There are lots of debates going on right now about rezoning occurring down there, NYCHA is in the red right now and some of that waterfront property is valued in the billions.

Messages In This Thread