rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Reversed language barrier

Reversed language barrier

Niels, I can see what you mean here, this has happened to me too when switching countries or mingling with an international crowd and suddenly having to adjust communication codes.

I don't know if everybody would agree with me here, but different languages may also entail a different mindset, gestures, cultural bias, style of humor, the bloody way you move may change!

I was surprised that when using Portuguese or Spanish my body language tends to be more expressive when compared to my usage of English or a Germanic language, the bait thrown in the water changes too. This goes pretty instinctively so I wasn't fully aware of this.

It was funny when this girl who saw me switching languages told me "You seem a different guy when you are speaking a Latin language!"

To which I replied: "You see, here you have two guys in one! If you ever fantasized of a threesome this is your chance!"

That's the piece of advice I could perhaps give you here: When surprised by this, which is something that can really happen, try in the first place to control anxiety, that's the main threat at hand here IMO. I was caught off guard by the girl's remark but managed to appeal to her sense of humor, which is what ultimately saved me.

Work on it but don't take youself too seriously, you can adapt (as opposed to translate) your style and language. It can flow quite naturally if you allow yourself enough time and draw your own conclusions throughout this process. I wish I had a magical solution, but these are my 2 cents.

Messages In This Thread