rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

DATA: Whistler

DATA: Whistler

Its almost that time of year again, and I noticed some request for info.

WHISTLER, BC, CANADA

CITY OVERVIEW

Located just over an hour north of Vancouver. The population is about 10,000 people. It is very compact, and the town is pedestrian only. There are large car lots on the edges and some hidden around the hotels. The town sits a top an old rubble pile spit from the volcanoes back in the day. The elevation sits higher due to this. Squamish (40 minutes south) is at sea level and Pemberton (20min north) is much lower then Whistler and has better weather but is a ranching type town.

GIRLS

7/10 Almost all are athletic and cruise around in yoga pants and fur boots. They are generally quite friendly and easy going. You can usually spot a local due to her having a dog. They are nice, but are often locked down. Focus on tourists.

SIGHT SEEING

Its all about the skiing. Brandywine falls and Nairn falls are a couple great spots to check out for nature if not on the slopes. Otherwise just walk around the village and see whats up.

LODGING

Renting a condo is recommended if traveling with a few others. Only downfall to this is they are about a 10min walk outside the village. A two bedroom is around $200/ night if you work around the busy dates.

Pan Pacific- Right in the centre of the base of the mountains. Across from the Longhorn Saloon (awesome apres spot and patio). Great roof jacuzzi for socializing after a day on the slopes (very important, as this is where night plans are hatched).

DAY GAME

Slopes. Gondola/ chairlift, dog park, coffee shops.

NIGHTLIFE

Start out apres. Longhorn Saloon, Dustys, Merlins. Crystal lounge (popular hidden local spot) for cheap wings and beer until 6.

Jacuzzi with some beers and meet other riders and tourists.

Dinner: Cheap spots like splitz burger and places around there.

Or go for some sit down like Earls, the Keg or the Thai place in upper village.

Sushi Village is insanely popular with locals and the party rocks here in the private booths late. It is a restaurant but has a good atmosphere.

Hys steakhouse is popular and a little more expensive. Worth it for sure.

Bar/ club: Just hit the village in the evening and see what patios are rocking. Have a few there.

Garfinkles for a heavy drinking party atmosphere. Lots of locals.

MOJOS is the same pretty much.

Maxx Fish trys to be little classier and attracts more of a Vancouver crowd.

Buffalo Bills is a legendary cougar spot. Often has good ratios as well.

Tommy Africas is the biggest spot in town and has DJ's that often play good music. Matt the Alien has been a long resident here.

GLC (Garibaldi Lift Company) is a cool venue and attracts a diverse crowd of locals, Vancouver, tourists. One of my favorites.

Cinnamon Bear is pretty hidden local spot in the Hilton hotel. Good crowds and cool people.

APPROACHING

People are friendly here an very used to tourists. We all want people to have a good time and love to have cool people around. There are cliques as its a small town, but smiling and asking questions and easy conversation will be very well received. There is a huge Australian, British, Japanese community here, with the Aussies making up much of the front end labour. There is also a growing Mexican and Brazilian population here as well, and not just tourists.
Just talk to people. If people are not racing for the lifts, they are not really doing anything. They will likely stop and chat and help out a lost tourist.

PRICES

This is Canada, so it can be quite high.

Pint of domestic- $5-$8
Canadian whiskey $6
Meal low end $12
Meal middle end $20

LOGISTICS

Stay in the village. Its walkable everywhere.

PROS/ CONS

Amazing skiing and high end amenities. So much skiable terrain it will take three seasons to get to know it well. Lots of snow.

Lots of tourists. Can be very busy on huge pow days. On these days many people call in sick to work and overburdens the services in the village. High men to women ratio.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

I used to live there part time for four years. I was there for the skiing and therefore was up very early in the mornings. I would go out mainly for special parties and events and I would do well with girls. I found Quebecois and Norwegian women to be my favorite as well as very cool.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Choose either Whistler or Blackcomb and get to know it well. Otherwise you will be looking always and will not easily remember where the good stuff is. For snowboarders I would recommend Blackcomb as the pitch of the mountain is better. Whister has some spots that will require you to unstrap and push or walk.

Messages In This Thread