rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Reading" a recommended book - YouTube vs summary vs Audiobook vs eBook/Physical book

"Reading" a recommended book - YouTube vs summary vs Audiobook vs eBook/Physical book

Like most I subscribe to a handful of content writers I respect and trust. From time to time they recommend books. I check these books out and they all sound great with good reviews, although I get recommended more than I could ever read.

Just wondering peoples thoughts on the different ways we have available to 'read' a recommended book.

For example, you could:
  • Read a detailed blog about the concepts/ideas in it
  • Watch a 15 min YouTube summary (free, possibly with charts, infographics)
  • Watch an hour or so long YouTuber's summary (free)
  • Buy and listen to a paid 'summary' style book
  • Same as above but an eBook or physical book
  • Buy and listen to an abridged audiobook
  • Buy and listen to the original full length audiobook
  • Buy and complete a paid course based on the teachings of the book (if one exists)
  • Buy and read the full length eBook or physical book
In the past I've usually gone with the shorter summary style forms, and almost always video or audio, thinking I'm being 'efficient'.

After hearing Roosh's thoughts on the nourishment of a full length book and recently finishing an 8 hour+ audiobook on Stoicism, I can see that the longer drawn out concepts are, the more in-depth and numerous the examples, and also the slight repetition of some of the ideas the more the knowledge in a full length book will sink in.

Assuming 30min of listening time on the commute to work each day, that's 20 hours per month (20 days). I also do the odd hour long trip to visit friends family where I'll also listen to material.

I probably listen to 1x full length audiobooks per month + a whole heap of podcasts and so forth. I could ditch about half of the podcasts and fit in a 2nd full length book. I am also mindful of giving my mind a break and not being in intellectual/analytical mode all the time and have made it a point to just relax and listen to music every now and then.

How do you go about them?

Messages In This Thread