rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Life/Career advice needed

Life/Career advice needed

Quote: (05-18-2019 09:44 PM)Zagor Wrote:  

Two primary criteria would be that it's a good paying job and that I can start doing it as soon as possible, on the lowest level. I mean, If I could bring back time I wouldn't study languages but enroll to medical school to become a doctor, but doing that now I would need to spend at least 5 years on college (working a full time side job to sustain myself/help my parents), then do my internship and then start climbing the ladder from there, at which point I'd be at least 37 years old. So that's for example an unrealistic course of action for me. Basically anything that has college as a prerequisite.

I was in a similar position like you some years ago: Useless degree in languages and business, no clear direction in my professional life and consequently, was struggling massively. All I was getting were shitty monkey jobs. While my peer group started to get established, I was sitting on the bench watching them passing me by. People didn't take me seriously, I was broke and felt like a failure.

Usually, I have a pretty happy predisposition and am a cheerful guy, but damn, this situation depressed the hell out of me for almost 2 years. After another unsuccessful bout of sending out resumes, going to interviews, etc. I decided that I needed to massively change my situation or otherwise I felt like my professional life would turn out to be endless shit show. So I did some introspection and research. Eventually, I found an M. Sc. programme that I was eligible to start due to some fortunate circumstances. It outlined it here.

I was 35 by the time I finished it and thanks to it, my entire situation and outlook on life changed immensely: I make a very nice salary, my job is quite enjoyable and my skill set is becoming more and more valuable.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is this: Even if the overall RVF sentiment is that college is a waste of time, don't rule it out completely. If you do go back to college, be sure to have a solid plan, though. I knew where I wanted to go and planned accordingly.
Also, always remember that despite what it feels like right now, in life sometimes all you need is just one "yes".

Messages In This Thread