rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Does living abroad insulate you from the risks imposed by US divorce laws?

Does living abroad insulate you from the risks imposed by US divorce laws?

Quote: (04-15-2019 10:34 PM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

Quote: (04-12-2019 05:28 AM)BlueMark Wrote:  

If I marry a foreign woman and live in her country, or in a third country, am I still exposed to the risk imposed by divorce laws in the USA? E.g. can my wife just go to the USA (to the state where I have some assets) and file for divorce, and claim half of my assets?

It might seem like a dumb question at first but consider that the US taxes you on foreign income when you live abroad. So maybe it's not so far fetched that it could be possible.

jimukr75 already hit the nail on the head. You asked the wrong question. The question is how do I protect my assets, regardless of who is trying to get to them. Court judgments mean nothing, unless you are stupid enough to have your assets exposed.

Research flag theory: ideally, citizenship in one country; residency in another country, business in another country; assets (aside from business) in another country; playground in another country; maintain at least basic levels of privacy and secrecy.
I would of course pay my US taxes, so not so secret .But paying us taxes keeps uncle Sam at bay and keeps it from being fraud where the US does have international agreements. Divorce lawyers have been able to use international law to help them in cases where there is fraud.
However, alimony or debt is local, state jurisdiction, and they have no power to get your assets.
What you can technically do as you said, is put money in Canadian banks, and live overseas. Canada does have some agreements when it comes to debt originating from the US but it is on residents. If you aren't a Canadian resident your good to go..hopefully lol. Another think is most countries think US punitive lawsuits are excessive and they are illegal in their countries so the courts won't even entertain them.
EU banks would be better but any American can open a bank account in Canada , not so easy in EU these days. QUEBEC province I hear is the most secretive.

Messages In This Thread