rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Shitlord hippie-boomer admins at University BAN Millenials from Netflix

Shitlord hippie-boomer admins at University BAN Millenials from Netflix

Quote: (03-23-2019 07:16 AM)Arado Wrote:  

Quote: (03-20-2019 03:39 PM)Atomic Wrote:  

Hell I don't mind kids watching netflix. The only disrespectul thing is when I am talking/lecturing and I have to keep raising my voice because students are chatting away. I normally raise my voice once, and if they don't shut up I call them out. They can sit there and watch netflix, text, sleep, whatever, as long as they are quiet. Again, it's not my job to force knowledge down their throats. I am the watering hole, i'm not forcing them to drink. If they wanna pay $2k+ per class and fall asleep, that's on them.

As a professor, what is your opinion on the value of online courses (coursera, Udacity, youtube, etc) vs. attending lectures in person? Now that student loans are ballooning out of control, what is the next step necessary for society to start dumping the BA and college lectures in favor of online learning and 6-12 month short credential courses?

The value you get from a coursera/Udacity/udemy course on a given subject is on par with the average college level education. Maybe even more so as an autodidact you learn how to learn and more importantly how to research and find answers to questions you have versus raising your hand and getting the answer spoon fed to you.

"Now that student loans are ballooning out of control, what is the next step necessary for society to start dumping the BA and college lectures in favor of online learning and 6-12 month short credential courses?"

For this to happen you would have to get enterprise level human resources departments to bless off on this. That is not going to happen anytime in the near future in all industries.

The best thing would be to have federal level certification exams / projects that anyone can take.

Say you wanna learn to code. You take some Introduction to Python course on youtube. You supplement it and take an intermediate Python course on one of the online education sites. You then pay $50 and sign up and take the "Federal Beginner Programmers Exam". The HR section of the company you apply to recognizes this to be on par with an associates in computer science (or something similar).

The left screams about free education, that is how you get it. A federally funded version of udemy with end of course examinations that are accredited. HealthCare.gov cost what, hundreds of millions to build? There is no reason why a free education site can't exist.

Never cross streams.

Messages In This Thread