rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Plane Crash Thread

The Plane Crash Thread

Quote: (03-25-2019 04:43 PM)RoastBeefCurtains4Me Wrote:  

Quote: (03-25-2019 02:57 PM)Dusty Wrote:  

Quote: (03-25-2019 02:53 PM)RoastBeefCurtains4Me Wrote:  

Quote: (03-17-2019 06:35 PM)Dusty Wrote:  

How about TACA 110? This is similar to the Sully ditching in the Hudson. They were flying a 737 from Mexico to New Orleans, and over the Gulf of Mexico, they lost all their engines. They glided to the edge of Louisiana and spotted some canals, and that was the plan, ditch it in a canal. As they were descending, the copilot spotted a levee (flat with short grass) and the pilot agreed that would be a better landing spot. He was lined up over the canal, so he had to slip it over at the last minute to line up on the levee. He landed there safely, no injuries. The pilot said that was his smoothest landing ever.

[Image: tacajpg-89bdbc45122461b1.jpg]

[Image: levee.jpg]

I wonder how they got the plane out of there afterwards? They wouldn't have been able to take off, even after repairing the problem. They must have had to disassemble the plane at the site. It must have sucked to have a completely successful landing with no damage, and still have the plane destroyed just as if it had crashed.

There’s a video. They flew it out!
It started sinking into the mud. They got some test pilots to take off and land it at the nearby airport.

Man! Those test pilots must have had balls of steel! I would have said I'd only do it for a third of the replacement cost of the plane. Obviously they must have felt it was doable, but still, it must have been a high risk takeoff.

Not high risk if you're a NASA test pilot.

Messages In This Thread