rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What is Orthodox Christianity?

What is Orthodox Christianity?

To show how the process continues, and to tie Truth back to Orthodoxy:

- I mentioned the 'Self-abandonment to divine providence' book by Jean-Pierre De Caussade. I didn't mention my experience with it. I found it largely-impenetrable - sentences often make no literal sense, like it's been run through a translator to another language and then back into English - though was glimpsing at something within the words that held deep value.

- I'd researched online, and discovered the version I had was considered terrible, and what I wanted was the highly-regarded John Beevers translation, which turned out to be the version I originally ordered.

- It turned up in the post out the blue yesterday, though I was expecting it mid-April.

- After writing what I wrote last night, I was struck by the coincidence of its arrival, and understood, this means something.

- Written in the 1700's, it's a very interesting book. It turned out to be about Always Being Present in the moment, which allows you to respond to God's Will in the moment: the 'Yes of Perfect Consent'.

- I made the obvious connection with St Therese of Lisieux, writing in the late 1800's: "What are the demands of love in this moment?" Note that she was unaware of the work, only having access to the Gospels and a book I mentioned last year: 'The Imitation of Christ'.

- But I then saw the link between these two works and an obscure Carmelite Writer, Brother Lawrence, writing in the 1600's. His book, 'The Practice of the Presence of God', caught my attention because, over three days, I heard the phrase on a podcast, in my book of daily mediations and then stumbled across his book of the same title online. Once again, it always means something.

[Image: 75v6s8.jpg]

- All three of them functionally have the exact same understanding of what God and how best to serve him, even in the midst of furious activity which should block your interaction with him. Although written hundreds of years apart, their Experience of Truth is the same. This is because God never changes, which explains why those who can't see Truth always bleat on about 'progress' (atheists), 'modernism' (Catholics) or 'Progressive revelation' (Jews, and, increasingly, the protestant schism churches).

- This is why Catholicism appeals to my reason: multiple experiences support each other, up until the entry of the Modernists last century, which was prophesized to happen. I suspect the simple meeting of Saint Therese of Lisieux - whose teachings function as a gift on how to survive both modernism and schism - as a fourteen year old girl with Pope Leo - who had a vision of Satan's attack on the Church Hierarchy in the 20th century and so composed the Prayer to Saint Michael - to suggest design more than coincidence.

----

Now, saying that, I mentioned an Orthodox Lecture I watched a while back on being present in the modern age. Here it is, both text and video version:

http://deathtotheworld.com/articles/atte...l-culture/

Note towards the end:

Quote:Quote:

In order to realize our calling, attentiveness must be our fundamental attitude and ethos. Without attentiveness there is no prayer, and without prayer, there is no communion with God, no participation in divine life. The practice of inner attention, of descending with the mind into the heart, is both an activity and a way of life that locates us in authentic existence, that is, in our relationship to God.

'Attentiveness' = 'The practice of the presence of God'

'Descending with the mind into the heart' = entering 'the little heaven of your soul' i.e. the awareness of the indwelling nature of the the Trinity

What he's discussing matches Catholic Theology, so there's some level of seeing Truth there in Orthodoxy, as opposed to a Protestant work like, say, 'The Misunderstood God' by Darin Hufford, which via the sensible faculties, systematically contradicts the teachings of the Doctors of the Church. You can tell those who serve the Adversary, because they always negate the need for suffering / carrying your cross in their theology. "God wants you to have nice things!"

Note that he mentions the Desert Fathers in that video, such as St Anthony and St Basil. The work you want on Anthony is 'Athanasius', pictured with the 'Against Heresies' book I mentioned in the last thread.

[Image: jwyqc4.jpg]

Here's the St Basil homily mentioned by the Orthodox Priest:

https://sites.google.com/site/stbasilasc...to-thyself

Reading it, once again, the same ideas jumps out:

Quote:Quote:

'Give heed to thyself,' then and bear in mind that one part of your soul is rational and intelligent, the other emotional and non-rational. Authority belongs to the former by nature and to the latter, submission and obedience to the reason. Never, therefore, allow your mind to become the bound slave of the passions, nor permit the passions to rise up against reason and usurp power over the soul. In short, scrupulous attention to yourself will be of itself sufficient to guide you to the knowledge of God. If you give heed to yourself, you will not need to look for signs of the Creator in the structure of the universe; but in yourself, as in a miniature replica of cosmic order, you will contemplate the great wisdom of the Creator. From the incorporeal soul within you, learn that God is incorporeal and without local determination.

Once again, note the turning inward to find God. So if the Orthodox are still teaching St Basil, they're somewhat united with Truth.

So when does Orthodoxy diverge into becoming suspicious of reason as open to demonic influence? I have no idea. Is it after the Schism, where odd ideas like 'the Tollhouses' enter dogma?

Messages In This Thread