rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fitness/gym: How do you motivate yourself?

Fitness/gym: How do you motivate yourself?

I’ll give my 2 cents:

Don’t need a lot of time You need to lift weights 3 times a week for around an hour (using the Starting Strength method). So it’s not a big commitment. There’s no excuse for not doing it. If you can’t find 3 hours a week to take care of “you”, you’re doing something wrong.

Go in the early morning. Wake up, eat breakfast and go to the gym. Many people prefer going to the gym after work or at night. The problem with that is that when you have a busy or crappy day, you won’t be able, or be very tired to hit the gym at all.

Find a gym nearby. If you have to drive or walk for a long period of time to get to your gym, sometimes it’s going to mess with your schedule and you will use it as an excuse to not go.

Find a friend to join you I go by myself but if you’re starting, going with a friend can help since one will motivate the other to go. Later go solo. You don’t want to be the one calling all the time to hear excuses.

Pay a little extra for a fancier gym. There was a study evaluating men’s health. They realized that when the doctor was a female, the evaluated men performed much better (like 20% more resistance). Fancier gyms tend to have prettier girls around and your performance increases. I don’t know if it’s a spike in testosterone, maybe a “show off mode” wired into our brains, etc.

eat carbs. You need energy to lift weights.

You need results. nothing worse than going to the gym and not seeing results. What I like about the Starting Strength method is that your strength increases every week. You see results fast. That’s a good motivation.
Annotate the weights!!! Use a paper/pencil or an app (I recommend Strong).

Music. It’s an obvious one. I’ve been to gyms (early in the morning) and they were listening to reggae (WTF). If your gym don’t put energetic songs in their playlist, bring your own headphones.

Some days you won’t have the energy/motivation. Go to the gym and lift lighter weights (as the previous week). Just do it.

Messages In This Thread