rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

To go or not to go to Saudi

To go or not to go to Saudi

First, I am really grateful about this forum. Every conundrum a man can face in life can be googled in here. This is just terrific forum for men.
Here is my problem.

I am a 37 yr old black male. I currently reside in Oklahoma. I am an engineer in the oil and gas industry. A few weeks back my job announced a major layoff and myself and 30% of the work force has to find employment elsewhere by July. I just joined this company 6 months ago. I currently take home $112k after tax. In 2016, I was jobless for almost 14 months and lived on my savings. Guys, welcome to oil and gas industry.

As the way things go, Saudi (Saudi Arabia’s national oil company) called me from the blue and gave me an offer to come work for them. (I did the interview way back in 2016 when I was looking for job). They offered me ~$190k after tax, and a retirement package worth over a $1M and free healthcare for life after 10 years of services.

I look at the future of oil and gas in Oklahoma and it looks bleak. I look at the future of oil and gas in the USA, and the so-called shale boom was only fueled by cheap money, and when interest rate goes up a lot of companies will crash. Funny enough I have an interview coming up with another company in Oklahoma next week—it looks very promising. While I don’t mind Oklahoma, I rather live in a Florida, Dallas or Denver. My initial plan when I was told I was going to be let go was to go to nursing school in city I rather live and have a more of a social life, and live a stable less stressful life and chase tail. All my friends advised against this mostly because of the compensation of nurses.

With this new opportunity, I am rethinking. Saudi will be relatively stable. I can easily stash away $120k, while I live and travel the world with the remaining $70k. But at what cost? What will be the dating pool when I get back to the states at 50 single and set for life? What tails can be chased in Saudi? I can go to Bahrain and Dubai to go chase tail, how will the logistic be in a place I don’t live? What is the chance of meeting anybody in Saudi? Should I travel and try to find a second home in Eastern Europe or Mediterranean? Or should I be very stingy and save every single penny and jet out after 5 years? Does American/Americanize/Westernize girl even worth marrying? A lot of my friends has been taken to the dry-cleaner by their wives.

Am I going to sacrifice my life for money, and does it worth it? These are the questions rambling through my head as I am doting the ink on the paper work now.
Any word of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread