rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Traveling with a big camera in Brazil: stupid?

Traveling with a big camera in Brazil: stupid?

Quote: (01-08-2019 06:14 AM)mundele Wrote:  

I just wanna make it clear that I'm not some unexperienced guy. I live in Congo, I have lived in Venezuela and I have been in real life threatening situations before. I have been held up by guys with machetes, I've had rebels wanting to kidnap me, I've had cops jumping in my car wanting to steal from me, etc, etc. But I know this environment and I know how to behave and act in this and I know exactly where and when I can use my camera. I just wonder what is the best strategy in Brazil.

Being experienced doesn't make me reckless, Brazil is unknown terrain. My camera costs money. I will ask around for an insurance.

You'll be fine. Just avoid flashing your camera in urban settings. Make an effort to be in a group, or at least near a group, whenever you're out with the camera. If you must use your camera in an area that's potentially dangerous, be extra careful and do everything as quickly as possible. In nature or rural settings you don't have to worry that much unless the region is known to have criminals looking out for tourists. Ask around to find out. If necessary go with a group or a tour guide.

Tall blonde translucent gringo with fancy clothes, DSLR hanging out from his neck, standing out like a sore thumb in a shady area - don't be this guy.

Possibly foreign guy but dressed as a local, smart attitude, in a group, keeping his DSLR in a backpack and taking it out strategically - be this guy.

This applies to all high crime rate regions in South America.

Either way, be ready to lose your camera. It's unfortunate, but it can happen even if you take precautions. Insurance is a good idea if you can find something reasonably priced.

Messages In This Thread