rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is English Teaching still viable?

Is English Teaching still viable?

Ages ago, I looked into a gig doing English in Japan. It never happened, but then I got stationed in Korea with the US military. I met a few people doing the English teaching thing and kinda felt even better about being on active duty, getting a steady paycheck, having no bills and banging just as many women as I would have doing their job. Maybe more.

Nevertheless, they supposedly made decent money and back then (90s) an apartment was sometimes included. The "English teachers" I met there were usually of dubious educational background and often wouldn't qualify for an actual English teaching job right out of college. That didn't matter though, so long as they had a degree in basket weaving and could speak as a native, that's all they needed to do.

Most of them said the work was not something they'd be able to stand for more than a couple of years. I knew of one guy who was there for about five years and he looked completely burnt. Probably had no other options or plan.

These days with the Internet the landscape changed; surprised anyone is making upwards of $20 an hour. I know of a retired guy about 55 years old in the Phils who claimed to be doing this part time for about $7.50 an hour, mostly teaching Korean businessmen online. That rate is pretty good money for the Phils but not sure I want to be doing that when I'm finally retired.

No matter where you go think about the legality of working and what visa you are on. In Korea they'll boot you if you lose your job with a Korean school and there is no freelancing thereafter, at least not from what I remember.

Messages In This Thread