rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Should You Tip Waitresses?

Should You Tip Waitresses?

Quote: (11-20-2018 01:25 PM)monster Wrote:  

Quote: (11-20-2018 01:26 AM)Number one bummer Wrote:  

First, federal law states that tipped employees are entitled to minimum wage, if their tip income falls below the income they would have made. So even the worst of the worst waitstaff still make minimum wage.

Yes, but in most states (i think 45 of them) service worker minimum wage is 2 or 3 bucks per hour. So yes, they have to be paid min wage but min wage is significantly different than the standard min wage of 8.15 or whatever it is now.

This has encourages many restaurants to OVERSTAFF themselves. I've gone in to many restaurants that have 2-3 diners but 4-5 wait staff. If a restaurant overstaffs itself, it's the fault of the manager/owner that the waitstaff isn't making as much as they want, and also the fault of the waitstaff for putting up with it.

Maybe this site will help explain it. Tip laws by states per US Dep. of Labor

Federal minimum wage is $7.25. The minimum cash wage for tipped workers is $2.13.

Lets say I work 8 hours at $2.13 which is $17.04 and I only receive $10 in tips. If I am under $7.25 x hours worked(8), which is $58, then the employer has to pay the difference. So 58-27.04 is $30.96, is what the employer has to pay me to bring my wages up to the federal minimum. In 33 states they operate off the state wage which is higher than the federal minimum, which means you are entitled to higher pay if you don't receive enough tips.

"Boy ya'll want power, God I hope you never get it." -Senator Graham

Messages In This Thread