rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Should You Tip Waitresses?

Should You Tip Waitresses?

Quote: (11-19-2018 08:42 AM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  

Quote: (11-19-2018 06:29 AM)Monty_Brogan Wrote:  

But when did the shift to 20% happen for wait staff? It happened overnight. Growing up it was always 10%. Always. It's like some waiter lobby started passed the word to make it 20%.

I tip the most out of everyone I know, but the article and comments have me thinking about 15% from now on.

I'm not singling you out personally, but for argument's sake, for an $80 meal...

15% = $12
20% = $16

Its four bucks to extend a bit of humanly goodwill and appreciate to a fellow person's service.

If you overthink this, you get to the point where you become that woman at a yard sale who tries to beat someone up over $1 or fifty cents (I've seen this) for a lamp. To what end this?

Nobody ever got rich by wasting money on nonessentials. Reading the comments in this thread really concern me as it seems none of you guys have ever faced any true hardship in your lives.

20% is huge and over time adds up to real money. Seven lunches per week for about $25 each (lowballing here probably) that's $175. You add 20% on top of that and it's $210 - so $35 per week. This is probably on the low side but bear with me.

Now if you saved $35 per week that's $1,850 in one year. In 10 years that's the cost of a low budget car. But what we haven't considered here is compounding if you are able to invest the money instead or collect interest (more difficult these days but possible if you seek out banks abroad or invest in U.S. bonds/notes).

If your food budget is bigger than all those numbers inflate accordingly. Don't under estimate the slow drip that expenses like these can amount to. Instead of eating low quality high sugar high salt GMO crap in restaurants you should be learning how to cook your own meals anyway. So don't go to the burger place or diner for lunch every single day, just make yourself a sandwich and take it along. You know, just like your granddad did ;-)

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
– Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Messages In This Thread