rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Wearing the Poppy to Honour our War Dead

Wearing the Poppy to Honour our War Dead

'Those cheering on the likes of Donald Trump, Viktor Orbán and Marine Le Pen have no right to wear the poppy this year says James O'Brien.'

Saw this a lot on Twatter this morning. And a Breitbart story has just popped up about it;

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/11...st-obrien/

Story intro;

Quote:Quote:

James O’Brien, the angry LBC talk show host who has a built a career on saying dumb, left-wing things in order to get attention has found a new way to be annoying: he has announced that conservatives have no right to wear Remembrance poppies because fascism.

This comes on top of me noticing that hardly anyone seems to wear a red poppy around the office anymore. At present, it's just myself and one other bloke.

I'm not too sure how big poppy-wearing is around the world, so in case anyone is wondering why it's worn;

Quote:Quote:

In Flanders Fields describes the first sign of life after death - small red plants that grew on the graves of soldiers buried in northern France and Belgium during World War I.

Two days before the armistice agreement was signed, Ms Michael bought and then pinned a red poppy to her coat. She gave other poppies out to ex-servicemen at the YMCA headquarters in New York where she worked.

The poppy was officially adopted by the American Legion at a conference two years later. At the same conference, a French woman named Madame E Guerin saw an opportunity for orphans and widows to raise money in France by selling the poppies.

Since then, they have become an international symbol of remembering fallen soldiers, especially in Commonwealth countries.

I've put this in Politics, but I've never thought wearing a poppy for Remembrance Week as being especially political, at least until recently. It's just a tradition I remember from being a kid and have always done it, thinking 'where's the harm in remembering the fallen?'

I don't even have a strong opinion on those who don't wear it. I couldn't care less, that's up to them and I honestly respect their choice not to wear it. But slagging off people who vote Right for wearing it?! Saying they don't have the right?! I guarantee the majority of our boys who died in France would be thought of as 'Right Wing' by today's standards.

In addressing that LBC tosser in the original tweet, I have a few thoughts, but can't beat what one commenter put on that article;

'This is the left trying to take something else away from us. The dehumanisation, the tyranny on our speech etc.. now they are trying to say we don't even have the right to honour our own war dead.

Think about that one.. Because it is us, our relatives, sons, brothers and communities who they come running to when they need more soldiers as cannon fodder.'
- Citizen of Dystopia

Wearing the Poppy has definitely become over the years yet another battleground on which the left are trying to disrupt and control the narrative. They are trying their best to distort what should be a simple, traditional token of respect and appreciation for those who died for us, into as divisive an issue as they can.

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
To worry about history’ – Tim Allen

Messages In This Thread