rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is it a good security measure to change your mobile number every once in a while?

Is it a good security measure to change your mobile number every once in a while?

Quote: (10-21-2018 04:26 PM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Quote: (10-21-2018 04:10 PM)Duke Main Wrote:  

I changed my phone number recently because identity thieves wreaked havoc with my old one. Using my name, ssn and phone number, they called a rival cell provider and said they (I) wished to port my number to the new company. The new company was happy to oblige and the thieves then called my bank and said they lost their password and my bank sent a code to my phone # and I had no idea until I realized my phone was dead. It took me a few days to unravel and a few weeks later the thieves were able to do the same thing again, due to the laziness of my bank and tmobile. I asked tmobile, how can we stop this from happening? Their only solution was to change my account to a "no credit check" which disconnects your ssn from your account. The downside is that it makes you a third class citizen in the tmobile universe, no longer able to use autopay, and the worst part was I no longer had the seamless international usage, which was the main reason I switched to tmobile in the first place.

I realize this is a bit of a jumble so feel free to ask for clarification if you have specific questions. The bottom line is, my ssn is still out in the wild (probably along with everyone else what with all the hacking) so I changed my phone # to get a small layer of separation from id thieves.

Are you unable to get a new ssn?
I've read it's possible (pain in the ass expensive, real legal reasons)
I didn't try to get a new ssn. I figure it will get compromised again the next time a "super secure" database gets hacked. I added extra layers of security to my financial accounts but strangely tmobile didn't have any way of securing that account other than the 'no credit check' option. Their customer service was very disappointing through the ordeal.

Messages In This Thread