rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

China outside of Beijing or Shanghai?

China outside of Beijing or Shanghai?

Quote: (10-18-2018 12:19 AM)Aquarius Wrote:  

Because China is such a large country, if Chengdu is becoming too cosmopolitan and you still want Sichuan girls, there's still Chongqing which for all intents and purposes is Sichuan's second city after Chengdu. If Chongqing somehow managed to become westernized in the future, there's so many third and fourth tier cities in Sichuan Province alone that have at least 500K in the urban area.

Examples: Mianyang, Nanchong, Dazhou, Suining, Bazhong etc. and I'm missing quite a few more, all of which have at least 500K in the urban area, some of them over 1 million. This is Sichuan Province alone, accounting for less than 10% of China's population.

Also, the more cosmopolitan the city is, the better the game opportunities are. Sure many of the girls might be jaded, but the number of foreigner groupies and English levels become higher, so you'll have a bigger pool to work with. And more girls will start to have fashion sense that Westerners are more used to. Chinese girls, while they dress sexy, their fashion sense and general grooming can sometimes appear strange to Western guys.

As long as you like Asian girls, you really can't moan about China; there's something for everyone. There's Hong Kong for those who want to game exclusively in English and wants a white girl every now and then. There's Taipei for those who want more "westernized", wealthier, and better looking Chinese girls or those who do not want to experience the chaotic Mainland Chinese culture and the govt policies of the CCP.

There's Shanghai for those who want a cosmopolitan and somewhat familiar environment while being in the middle of Mainland China with all of its pros and cons. There's Beijing for those who want a less Westernized/expat-friendly version of Shanghai with the same level of wealth and everyday amenities. Finally there's countless tier 3/4 cities for those who really want to go hardcore.

Excellent post, and sums up most of the expat-friendly areas of China pretty well. I will also echo what other posters have said, which is that in most 2nd and 3rd tier cities, your Mandarin needs to be on serious lockdown to get consistently good results, and if you're just there for short-term stays, be prepared to be frustrated. I am Chinese-American, and while I am just about fluent, I still lack a bit of the cultural knowledge needed to really be good at pulling SNLs in these kinds of cities. It's possible, as I have a few Chinese friends who do very well for themselves, but it also depends where you are.

I went out in Wuhan (large 2nd-tier, not as foreigner friendly) a few weeks ago, and although the nightlife scene was popping big-time, girls weren't very receptive to opening in English, due to either not knowing it at all, or seeing my Chinese face and getting lazy and switching into Mandarin immediately. This compared to Chengdu (large 2nd-tier, much more foreigner-friendly), where I had much more success opening in English, before switching into Mandarin on my terms (allowing me to control the interaction a lot better). But if you can't hold much of a conversation in Mandarin, I would still advise that you stick to the first-tier, if not just Beijing and Shanghai (or HK/Taiwan) as Aquarius said, as there is plenty there to keep you occupied no matter what you're looking for.

天不怕,地不怕,就怕外国人说中国话!

Messages In This Thread