rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The truth about the Philippines

The truth about the Philippines

Quote: (10-20-2018 01:18 PM)SeaFM Wrote:  

I would wager that the majority of the OFW's that have service jobs have degrees in other fields where they either can't find work

Most of the OFWs are doing jobs without degrees. Domestic helpers. Nannies. Like you say, waiters. Bartenders. Baristas. Where I am there is a Filipino community. Most of them are dirt poor and uneducated, most of the OFWs don't have a high level education.

I hear what you're saying though the salaries are low for qualified degree level work, that's of course true.

Quote: (10-20-2018 01:18 PM)SeaFM Wrote:  

Marcos stealing all your money and imposing Martial Law wasn't the USA's fault.

In 1919 the US promised to give the Philippines independence as soon as a stable government was established, hence the famous Jones Law. However, the Americans did not honour their promise and instead spent the next 27 years sabotaging the establishment of an independent democracy in the Philippines. The decades long sabotaging of the Philippines' desire to establish their own government by the Americans meant that this only came to pass in 1946. So by the time Marcos came along in 1965 the Philippines did not have more than 19 years of democracy. Bear in mind that the US also waged a war on the Philippines where hundreds of thousands of civilians died and exploited the country economically for many decades.

It seems clear that the Americans' influence in the Philippines meant that a proper national government could only be established in 1946, the institutions required for democracy did not have enough time to develop and that is what you need to avoid military government, proper institutions. Even to this day the Philippines has not yet developed these institutions fully, as evidenced by Duterte's removal of the most senior Supreme Court judge for instance, for political reasons.

So yes, I think the USA are to blame for much of the chaos we saw and still see in the Philippines, but of course there seems to be a natural affinity for lies and lack of work in the country, that's undeniable too. It's a bit of both.

Messages In This Thread