rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The NPC meme

The NPC meme

Quote: (10-23-2018 02:30 PM)RedPillUK Wrote:  

Look how the NPC repeats the line:

"This is true and is consensus."

What it really means is "This is true BECAUSE it is consensus". That's how they are programmed.

It doesn't really matter if the consensus is 51% or 99% or if it's not even consensus but it just seems that way due to the information they recieve. (There were no actual links to any evidence.)

It's also telling how they are programmed to believe "global warming = bad" even if that global warming works out to 1 degree over 100 years.

A player character sees a fact like; "There was a 1 degree increase in global temperature over 100 years." and has thoughts like:

How does that compare to other periods of time?
How has the temperature been changing over 500 or 1000 years?
Is that actually bad or good?
Or with such a small increase is it completely insignificant?

An NPC sees the same fact and 'thinks':

1 degree temperature increase over 100 years = slightly warmer than the last century, more evidence of global warming
global warming = bad thing that will eventually kill us all
1 degree temperature rise over 100 years = bad thing that will eventually kill us all.

I'll skip your condescending ad hominem NPC name calling. I'll just refer you again to Syberpunk's quote:

Quote: (10-11-2018 12:18 PM)Syberpunk Wrote:  

The biggest NPC trait by a light year is the unwillingness to accept the fact that maybe just maybe you are wrong...in other words to have humility, to think not less of yourself, but to think of yourself less, and ruminate on the world at large.

As for the points you made:

1. Scientific consensus is not a general consensus. We're not talking about a group of forum dwellers that are in agreement about something, that is not the general consensus I am talking about. We're talking about the most appropriately educated and well suited people on the face of the Earth to comment about this issue. A consensus of scientists that deal with this specific matter. Who would believe over them? Please, do share with me your thoughts.

"There was a 1 degree increase in global temperature over 100 years"
2. How does that compare to other periods of time? How has the temperature been changing over 500 or 1000 years?
1 degree Celsius warmer than the 20th century, which is insane. Better yet, the warmest it has been in all of modern human history. 13 of 14 warmest years on record occurred in 21st century. Have a look.
But hey, If I were to use your terms, I'd say that an NPC would only look at temperatures though, and not at temperature trends which are extreme and extremely clear - a huge increase in year by ear warming.
Also, if I were an NPC, I wouldn't bother looking at atomspheric CO2 levels which are the highest they've been in 420 thousand years (and probably much, much more). I'd look at what we've done in the 20th and 21st century. I'd read a little about about the greenhouse effect, and I'd note that empirical evidence supports all of this.

3. Is that actually bad or good? Or with such a small increase is it completely insignificant?
As I've shown above, it is not insignificant and we already see the results of it, for example - coral bleaching. I dive and love the sea, so that matters to me. But I guess the ecologic systems and nature don't matter as much to some, so how about these assessments regarding the effect of this climate change, for the U.S.?

Quote:Quote:

Below are some of the impacts that are currently visible throughout the U.S. and will continue to affect these regions, according to the Third3 and Fourth4 National Climate Assessment Reports, released by the U.S. Global Change Research Program:

Northeast. Heat waves, heavy downpours and sea level rise pose growing challenges to many aspects of life in the Northeast. Infrastructure, agriculture, fisheries and ecosystems will be increasingly compromised. Many states and cities are beginning to incorporate climate change into their planning.

Northwest. Changes in the timing of streamflow reduce water supplies for competing demands. Sea level rise, erosion, inundation, risks to infrastructure and increasing ocean acidity pose major threats. Increasing wildfire, insect outbreaks and tree diseases are causing widespread tree die-off.

Southeast. Sea level rise poses widespread and continuing threats to the region’s economy and environment. Extreme heat will affect health, energy, agriculture and more. Decreased water availability will have economic and environmental impacts.

Midwest. Extreme heat, heavy downpours and flooding will affect infrastructure, health, agriculture, forestry, transportation, air and water quality, and more. Climate change will also exacerbate a range of risks to the Great Lakes.

Southwest. Increased heat, drought and insect outbreaks, all linked to climate change, have increased wildfires. Declining water supplies, reduced agricultural yields, health impacts in cities due to heat, and flooding and erosion in coastal areas are additional concerns.

The effects will be much greater in China, India, Africa, South America. You'll see many, many more refugees flocking to first world countries. Is it not in your interest to prevent, at the very least, that? [Image: smile.gif]

--

It is mind boggling to me that you are so certain of yourself, that you are a "Playable Character", when you ignore scientific consensus and clear empirical evidence.

Messages In This Thread