rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

UK University Bans Clapping At Performances To Avoid Triggering Students With Anxiety

UK University Bans Clapping At Performances To Avoid Triggering Students With Anxiety

Quote: (10-04-2018 07:00 PM)godfather dust Wrote:  

Quote: (10-04-2018 06:47 PM)Tiger Man Wrote:  

Quote: (10-04-2018 02:40 PM)MANic Wrote:  

What? Unis have become unintentional memes. On a serious note, not entirely related, it really is shocking how many people are on anxiety and depression meds. A friend of mine works at a clinic as a pharmacist and he confirms the ridiculous amount of ostensibly stable and affluent individuals on it.

Confidence is a superpower in 2018.

Can confirm. Clinic participants in my studies were required to disclose drug usage. Many, many people on SSRIs, etc. People you wouldn't expect.

My theory was that they go in to the doctor after a bad month (hard case, too many patients, whatever) and the doc gives them Paxil right out of the gate. Same thing happens in school health centers. If someone has prescription writing authority, you can be sure that psych meds are flying off the shelves. No talking. No digging. No therapy. No meditation. No diet, sleep, or exercise changes. No suggestions to take a lighter class load, switch majors, or take a semester off. Just pump them full of drugs.

The problem with that is the rebound effect. If you put someone who is a little high-strung from a bad semester on anti-anxiety meds, they are stuck. If you put a person who doesn't have anxiety on anxiolytics, and then take them off, they will often develop anxiety as part of the rebound effect. Now, without the tools that a competent therapist could provide a patient to deal with anxiety (without drugs), that person will be begging to go on a heavy schedule of medication. Not many people have the grit to white knuckle it through crippling panic attacks.

Add to all of this the known facts that; there are concentrations of pharmaceutical pollution in the drinking water, some really crap street drugs are cut with doses of pharma drugs, and a lot of OTC meds mimic the anxiolytic effects of prescription drugs (ex: some antihistamines), and you have a recipe for a lot of messed up people.

But, yeah, we should be concerned about clapping.

I was on SSRIs briefly, they made me fucking crazy (so I flushed them.)

The problem is depression being looked at as a bad thing.

Depression is your body/brain telling you something sucks in your life (you are not successful enough, out of shape, not having fun, girl is a bitch) and you need to switch things up in most cases. I don't doubt there is SOME clinical depression (although I don't think SSRIs are the answer) but most of the depression would be better met by "maybe you should stop working a job you hate so much, dump that whore you are dating" etc not a pill script.

[Image: fuckthat.gif]

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

Messages In This Thread