rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tim Berners-Lee's Solid: is this the free Web we've been waiting for?

Tim Berners-Lee's Solid: is this the free Web we've been waiting for?

Quote: (09-30-2018 12:29 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

Me no like bad man take web.

If Tim man make web not take by bad man then Tim man is good man.

I pray to gods of hill and sky for Tim man make web back to good and make bad man go gone.

Me stand ready with rock and stick if Tim man fail.

Doesn't need to be something adopted by mass market or a parallel internet / social network like a facebook or google without the data collection - there's a few use cases where decoupling data from applications might be helpful... For instance, certain countries have citizen identification numbers/ssns/credit card information that may be required to be linked to financial transactions/banks/tax related stuff -- this technology may be utilized by governments to control information flow.... A lot of the major credit card processors and banks are also researching blockchain utilization for similar reasons... Similar solutions may also be used internally by organizations in future for controlling information flow to subcontractors...

Whether Solid becomes a success remains to be seen of course but one would definitely expect users/organizations to be able to exert more control on information sharing/processing in the next 5+ years for sure. Also that raises more concerns about the security of data wherever it may be housed ("pods", in Solids case) ...but it is relatively easier for organizations to control data being stored solely in-house as opposed to sharing it willy nilly with every third party application or contractor (eg - "Find out what Hogwarts house you would be sorted in,
but we need your permission to collect your demographic information such as age, religion, location, political leaning which is totally needed for the app to work and not being collected for malicious intent at all *hint hint wink wink* type situations could theoretically be nullified) ...the flip side being that if access is compromised, would be like shooting fish in a barrel for hackers. Given the relative uselessness and appalling security controls currently implemented by most governments or govt contractors (the Equifax breach being a recent example) world over, one would think this development is a net positive.

Source - I work in a related field.

Messages In This Thread