rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Need a laptop for university

Need a laptop for university

I had had a Windows based computers for many years, then switched to Mac and not looking back. I have had a rMBP for 4 years and hardware never failed. Also, because Apple produces both software and hardware ecosystem, it's fast just as it was when I bought it and ergonomics are so much better with touchpad gestures then any other hardware/software solution.

Windows based machines tend to slow down over time - I have a Dell laptop (non XPS) too of similar age and it basically chokes on any mildly computationally intensive operations by now (Skype plus 10 chrome browser windows - forget it).

Also, to me, though somewhat peripheral thing is important. RMBP is an ultraquiet machine and doesn't heat up at all during normal usage and the retina screen's resolution is unmatched, although the colour space should be improved a bit. There are tons of other reasons but I guess they've been already covered above. Once a new iteration of 13" rMBP without a touchbar, with 8th generation processor, and improved keyboard are out, I'm upgrading.

As you are a student in the UK, you can get a new one with 10% off on (or any Apple product). Apple has a deal with Barclays so you can get it with monthly instalment plan as well (though not sure about the interest rate).

I'd say it's a good investment - it will serve you well for 5 year, a Dell laptop has no chance to last 5 years and work just as fast. So, in the long run, you'll spend less pounds per day's use going with rMBP, I think.

My Adventures in Game updates on the go: twits by Max Detrick

Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

I don’t ever give up. I mean, I’d have to be dead or completely incapacitated.
-- Elon Musk

Messages In This Thread