rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Chess Thread

Chess Thread

Quote: (08-26-2018 04:14 AM)lavidaloca Wrote:  

Quote: (08-26-2018 12:59 AM)robreke Wrote:  

As far as what level my Uncle was, I don't remember if he was Master, Grand Master, etc. I do know he was known for being very good at chess and playing many tournaments. It's possible he was a master. I don't remember hearing exactly what level since, again, it was a long time ago and I didn't know enough about chess/ chess master levels to ask.

Edit: I actually found a New Orleans simul where Fischer dropped 3 games, won 70 and drew 1. Granted it was in 1964.

The 3 players he lost too were far from extraordinary.

2 Experts and a Class C player (granted the Class C player was 15 and could've been underrated)

I'm somewhat baffled that he dropped 3 games to players of that level he must have been playing extremely fast.

There is some dispute as to whether all 3 players were correctly named as the winners. (Some people are saying one of the guys who was in the newspaper as winning is not correct and that it was another who happened to be a very strong player.)

I will say this from looking at the games Fischer resigned in positions where he treated his opponent as though they were a professional player. I suspect he could've pulled out some of these games or atleast gotten draws despite being down.

Wow, I was going to call BS on the story because Fisher losing (as contrasted with a draw) to an average player, even at age 21 and even in a multi with dozens of players, is highly unlikely. Figured someone's uncle fibbed their entire life, and his nephew is honestly repeating the fib.

Messages In This Thread