rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Ask a criminal defense lawyer anything

Ask a criminal defense lawyer anything

Quote: (08-19-2018 12:56 PM)Payback Wrote:  

Quote: (08-19-2018 12:20 PM)JimBobsCooters Wrote:  

Cool thread, this is a more general one...

How do you go about defending a client where you know they're guilty? Just always wondered how the ethical/moral dilemma contrasts with what is essentially your job? Do you ask if they're guilty? Does it matter to you I guess also?

Never been an issue for me. My focus, and I think any seasoned, competent criminal attorney will say the same, is on the evidence. What is the evidence? Is it strong? Is it weak? If it's weak, but they're trying to make my client do time, then we fight it.

I don't ask clients if they did it either. Doesn't matter, because the client doesn't have to say a word when we go into court. Doesn't matter what the client says or what I think. All that matters is the evidence. What can they prove?

I think I separate the personal and professional aspects pretty well. I sleep fine at night, let's put it that way.

Now I will get a statement from the client. I'll want to know where they were, who they were with, they can tell me what happened, tell me their side of the story, whatever, but I don't ask did you do it?

Cool, do you ever take cases where the evidence (read odds) is against you or do you screen the clients on that front ahead of time. Probably a difficult balance between taking winning cases and making money!

Messages In This Thread