rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do I solve this weird server problem?

How do I solve this weird server problem?

I'm having a problem on the ROK server that is hard to solve. The server runs on LAMP with cPanel. ROK runs on Wordpress.

On Monday, I noticed the server load was running high (above 5 on 16 CPUs when normally it's under 1). Traffic wasn't any higher. The server would then spike to server loads of over 150, crash, and then come back online to a load of around 5 or so. It would then spike again before crashing once more). Working on the back end to edit articles was extremely slow.

First thing I did was disable Wordpress's heartbeat function, but that didn't help. Then I disabled most of the plugins. There was one plugin that uses the wp-admin-ajax function. Disabling it reduced the load somewhat, but the spikes kept happening. I'm pretty sure it's not the Wordpress installation.

Then I changed Cloudflare's security protection to the highest ("I'm under attack!"). This would immediately halve the server load to around 3 and stopped the server spikes, but the load is still higher than before. Whenever I disabled the Cloudflare and lowered the security to "High", the load immediately double and soon I see another spike.

When I looked in Cloudflare's analytics, there is hardly anything under Threats. (The browser challenged spiked when I changed the security protection).

[Image: attachment.jpg39554]   

It does seem like memory usage is high:

[Image: attachment.jpg39555]   

I used to know a top command where you can take a snapshot over a period of time (e.g. 5 minutes), but I forgot how to do that.

Any ideas?

Messages In This Thread