rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

12 kids trapped in Thai Cave Complex
2 kids trapped in Thai Cave Complex
Quote: (07-06-2018 11:54 AM)Dodgy Wrote:  

Quote: (07-06-2018 11:11 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Dalaran also forgets that Thailand is the Land of Smiles. They just like to be positive as much as possible. They know they fucked up.

I blame that coach. That was a dumb idea and he is old enough to know better but then again..... he is 25 which these days is hardly mature anywhere on Earth for a male.

Well the coach is 25 and Thai, which makes it even worse. I love Thailand, I love the culture and the people, but I'll also admit that they're not the brightest bulbs on the global string. They also have a genius to turn something simple, like making a cappuccino or going to the beach, into a complete clusterfuck. The trapped kids and coach were likely not intelligence and self-aware enough to understand the seriousness of the situation when they started and they probably still don't understand the full implications of their predicament. And I doubt the Thai rescue workers are telling them when they communicate with them.

While I like to play "let's point out the shortcomings of the retarded foreigners" as much as anyone else, I also have to chalk a lot of this up to simple bad luck. Coulda shoulda seen it coming? yeah, but probably nothing's going to happen.

As I understood it, it was a part of a team initiation rite, get to the end of the cave and back. How many people here have done something that would be perfectly fine with 99% likelihood as has in the past, but otherwise could have catastrophic consequences for social proof, inclusivity, or even for just convenience?

It reminded me of some passage I read in Scott's Antarctic expedition like 100 years ago. Taking a short cut across an ice flow and camping over night. They had gone over it before, they'd only be out there a matter of hours, so it seemed like a reasonable risk. Naturally the ice broke off, they found themselves floating out to sea, and by mere chance it happened to get close enough again to jump off.

Same thing here. To accomplish such a feat, you need almost the perfectly wrong timing. Over the rainy season timeline of a year, literally a few hours sooner or later would have avoided this whole thing. They either would have been able to exit fine beating the rains, or not be able to get in there in the first place due to them already having started. Over the time span of thousands of hours, there was maybe a several hour window in which to orchestrate this.

Messages In This Thread