rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

People don't think rationally & WHY they think the way they do(my rambling thoughts)

People don't think rationally & WHY they think the way they do(my rambling thoughts)

The whole rational versus emotional distinction is problematic. Rationality was at best developed to serve our emotional interests. When you analyze the "rational choices" of people, they are always aimed at maximizing a certain emotional state and minimizing another emotional state. The problem herein is the assumption that there can be a universal rationality. Perhaps for monetary issues, which are binary and measurable, but even there the case remains: each individual is unique. Not per se in the sense of total originality, but still unique given the combination of archetypes and drives within the individual. Imagine the subtle difference between a Texan conservative and an Albertan conservative: both are conservatives in archetype, but still dissimilar.

It's a dead horse, but it's true: what's good for one person may not necessarily be good for another person. That's why you can't have a universal rationality. Maybe, a teenager running away from home really needs that crystal meth bender to learn a valuable lesson and learn their limits. Even though rationally it's bodily sabotage. Maybe a "r" selected really needs to live a life that is optimized for being short-term: it's in their nature.

Another example. Take Jung and the MBTI personality type indicator that was based on his ideas. A given ENTP is going to need to make completely different "rational" choices than an ISFJ. The ENTP wants novelty and entrepreneurship, therefore starting a company despite 90% failure rate is "rational". The ISFJ however needs a place with order and rules, where they can take a stable and predictable salary job growing an average 0.5% in earnings per year, because it's a company with values they find important. Within each individual, there are completely different impulses, archetypes, patterns, circumstances, values and whatever else at play, each creating a different value for the variable of "what is rational for ME".

I try to watch out for "Conservatives are ABC" and "Progressives are DEF" narratives. At the end I suspect it's a Hegelian Dialectic (a false dichotomy to trigger the psychological us vs. them pattern and distract you from the fact your food is poison, your purchasing power hasn't grown since 1975, your money has no intrinsic value, your pension is not yours, the news is owned by everyone except yourbestinterestinc etc). In a sense, putting any single human being into a denomination of "C" or "P" is commodifying and dehumanizing. It stifles the intrinsic spiritual value of a person, strips them of their spiritual journey and free will autonomy, to just be another one of "them" (THEOTHER). Not to say I don't personally prefer conservative values - it's true. But I regret wasting 3 years of life investing in the News Cycle and political theory, just so you can feel completely separate from 50% of the population.

In response to Mage, definitely agree globalist education is producing a monoculture of atrophied prefrontal cortexes and severed corpus callosi. It's almost as if the strategy is simply to stunt the development of independent thinking by simply dissuading it's use. I probably spent $40,000 in all on my "higher education" and never got a single essay question asking ME to think of my OWN explanations for reality, question existing reality theories or create my own theoretical structure.

Messages In This Thread