rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Scared of the future / disappointing my parents

Scared of the future / disappointing my parents

I second Ice's advice. Push hard to find internships in your last two years of college. Try to find jobs that interest you. Doing actual work will give you a more concrete idea of what you like, and you can branch out from there.

Many people, maybe even most people, are not doing jobs that correspond to the major of their bachelor's degree. Think about all the psychology, philosophy, and political science majors.

All things being equal, a bachelor of science is better than a bachelor of arts for a lot of jobs. It signals some quantitative ability. Mostly though, Human Resources departments just use bachelor's degrees as a bare minimum screening tool for a lot of jobs. The major doesn't matter in probably the majority of cases.

If you don't have a defined profession as the goal for your degree (accountant, engineer, doctor, etc.), then you most likely fall into this general pool with most people. In this case, you might as well just finish out the degree, and turn your focus on the job market by exploring internship opportunities.

Another thing you should do is create a Linkedin profile, and add some information about yourself on it. Then, you can do searches for people from your alma mater and/or with biology degrees, and see what jobs they landed. Send them a message and ask them for a quick 20 minute call to pick their brain. Don't ask them for coffee like everyone else suggests. That is a bigger time commitment than a lot of people will expend for someone they don't know very well. However most people will jump on a call to help out a student no problem.

One crucial thing to consider is timing. I was in the same boat as you. I switched my major a couple of times, which delayed my graduation considerably. By the time I graduated, the Great Recession hit, and it was a pain in the ass to find a job. I had a great internship, which helped a lot, but I got hired at another company at a lower position than I probably would have during boom times. This undoubtedly had a negative impact on my entire career.

We are in boom times again in terms of employment. It would be a good idea to take advantage of that NOW, and try to get a good internship and finish out your degree. You never know when the economy may turn again, and then it will be much harder to find a job, even if you have the perfect degree.

You seem like you're in a good frame of mind. Use that momentum and network your ass off.

Messages In This Thread