rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Giving up Active Duty military to teach English in South America, should I do it?

Giving up Active Duty military to teach English in South America, should I do it?

As someone who's made a very similar decision, I thought I'd opine.

I left a pretty lucrative banking job in my late 20s to go teach abroad. Would I do it again? Yes. Would I recommend you do what you're contemplating? No.

Here's why:

- I had options. I was pretty sure I'd end up coming back after several years unless something extraordinary happened. I went from being "sponsored" - a free flat and guaranteed hours - at a McSchool (starter schools for most teachers) to teaching at multinational corporations and private students within a year or so and was making more than 99% of the other teachers I knew. But I knew that wouldn't be a way to live. You'll never be able to save that much even in the top 1-10% of teachers in your country compared to the benefits you're currently on track for. Nothing is guaranteed. Students fuck off for long holidays all around the same time. And their holidays are longer than Americans. Can you go a few months a year with a fraction of the cash you're getting in a good/normal month? Sure you can start your own school, employ teachers, etc. and sky's the limit but now you're an entrepreneur. Anyway, as hard as it was coming back, I'm now working in a similar field with less pay but also less stress. It was somewhat a win-win although I miss that place every day. Can you feasibly return to Coast Guard if it doesn't work out?

- Thought about certifications yet? CELTA runs $3k+ if you get it in USA. I did make the considerable investment of time and money that is the CELTA before going. I wanted to ensure the best chance of success and I wholeheartedly recommend this program for anyone seriously considering teaching abroad.

- South America is a, if not the, most difficult place to teach abroad financially speaking. They simply don't have the disposable income to support a teacher for the most part.

- Even a lucrative country for teaching, should you decide to change your mind on location, will not yield anything close to the benefits you stand to gain should you stay in the service.

- Girl, marriage, something or other. I'm not going to go there but would hope your decision would be entirely your own.

Doing it changed my life. Total and complete mindset shift. Tons of perspective. It's a heart vs. stability choice and that's why this is even a debate.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Messages In This Thread