rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The absolute state of modern comics!

The absolute state of modern comics!

This gets mentioned a lot in other threads but I can't find a dedicated one (at least not recent) so here goes...

Firstly, I'd recommend reading this excellent, short article in The Spectator from James Delingpole that does a pretty good job of introducing you to what exactly is the problem here;

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/06/is-i...-superman/

This was linked to by Vox Day on one of today's post and it's set me off big-time as it's something I've been thinking about for a while.

Here's a couple of sample quotes from the article to put you in the picture;

'Iron Man is now a 15-year-old black girl who might be a sociopath; the Incredible Hulk is a 19-year-old Asian hipster guy; Thor is a woman who is dying of cancer; and Captain America is a full-on Nazi — to show readers how evil Donald Trump is — while his duties as a good person have been handed over to Falcon, who is much more to be admired, obviously, because he is black.

No, really, this is not a joke designed to satirise the leftist, identity politics lunacy which has afflicted so much of the US entertainment industry. This is what has actually happened to the superheroes of those two iconic imprints Marvel and DC Comics. Their characters have all been updated to make them relevant in a more diverse, gender–fluid age where, as rebel comic-books publisher Vox Day puts it, ‘all the princesses know kung fu and none of them need rescuing’.

He even mentions something about The Punisher now being trans-gender?! Although I can't find verification of this elsewhere. But reading those words did cause me to spit out my morning coffee. And then I found out that they want Spiderman to be trans-gender next.

As Vox and Delingpole both note, comics sales are tanking, but they don't seem to give a fuck and are ratcheting up;

'‘What we heard was that people didn’t want any more diversity. They didn’t want female characters out there… anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose against,’ Marvel’s VP of sales made the mistake of admitting last year. In the furore that followed he was then sent out to say the precise opposite —that he was ‘proud and excited’ about all the ‘unique characters that reflect new voices’ in the Marvel universe. Well of course. He had a job to keep.'

I bought a lot of comics as a kid as I loved to read and I loved to draw (still do). In the UK the newsagents would have a full rack devoted to boys comics; the Marvel and DC stuff but also loads of homegrown stuff; Action, Battle, Eagle, Victor, 2000AD, Scream etc. There's nothing like that now, and the ones that remain are utterly toxic.

Having a son of my own I couldn't wait to get him into comics, so started buying one each week so I'd have a collection for him. Naturally, I'd read them myself! I stopped about 5 years ago as it was becoming too expensive and finally handed them over as a gift to him. Here's the thing; even 5 years ago they were nowhere near as bad as they are today! What the fuck happened?!

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
To worry about history’ – Tim Allen

Messages In This Thread