rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The steady death of the world's languages -- does it matter?

The steady death of the world's languages -- does it matter?

Quote: (05-23-2018 07:42 AM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

People tend to think of the Vietnamese as one people, but what you are thinking about is the Kinh people, which represents about 95% of the Vietnamese population. In truth there are around 80+ different ethnicities in Vietnam, each with their own languages and customs.

Now, more and more of them are speaking "Vietnamese" and even English. Most have moved down to the bigger cities. Many of the tribes have "disappeared" as they get assimilated into the bigger culture.

No problem so far other than liberal anthropologists protesting about dumb shit.

If I marry a French girl I don't think I'll teach my kid Vietnamese. They would learn French, then English, Spanish and probably Chinese (and I say this last one with utter distaste). Our brain only got so much capacity and I would rather my kids become fluent in the languages that will matter and survive. If they want to have a root connection with Vietnam they can do it well enough in English, and eventually learn Vietnamese themselves as they see fit.

I dont see why survival of the fittest should not apply to cultures and languages. We are in this shit in the first place because liberal fuckers always want "diversity".

What you're describing Dalaran actually went on in France in the 1800's as well. Today, most of the territory that is France is speaks French, but that wasn't always the case. Many of the dialects were lost in place of French, though the regional languages were very similar to French so it wasn't that much of a switch. I'm not sure how similar the languages are with the 80 or so ethnicities in Vietnam.

I'm sure Vietnam will turn out all right, just like France did for the most part. But, at the same time, it would be sad if Vietnam ever lost it's 95% majority ethnicity of the Kinh people, because that's what makes Vietnam Vietnamese. While the regional dialects in Vietnam might die off, hopefully they'll learn from other places in the world to at least keep their historical demographics in check.

Messages In This Thread