rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Archer's gym progress thread

Archer's gym progress thread

Brief post about my situation with squats.

As you all know, sometime in the recent past (month and more ago) I got up to 77,5 kg on squat and couldn't get it to 80 kg. Somewhere around that time, from what I think was probably slightly bad form, I got the hip inpingement which prevented me from increasing the squat and made the whole thing worse. I wrote in the following weeks that pain goes on and off, and depending on the day, I could hit all reps or not.

I didn't write what I actually did to try to remedy all this since I thought about is as a private experiment which will hopefully be very brief and successful. First thing I did was to squat on Monday and Friday, so 2 days instead of 3. Did it help? Very little. Second thing I did was to put on Wednesday high rep leg press. Did it help? I got a bit stronger in the quads but squat didn't go up and the pain remained. I even tried squatting just 72,5 kg and didn't even hit all reps. Third thing was the last straw. Last week I did 3 times per week leg press instead of squat. Then I said enough of this bullshit.

This program, next program and many others are built around the squat and consider it a king of all exercises. Is that true or not, I don't want to debate, but what I wanted desperately is to squat like any other normal guys do. And then an idea hit me.
What if I try high bar position and ass to grass form, an Olympic style instead of powerlifting low bar style? I conducted extensive research regarding this stuff and bottom line was they are squats like any other, build wicked quads and while you cannot lift as much weight as in low bar squat, they are still kings as low bar squats are.

Today I tried them for first time. I dropped the work set weight from 72,5 kg (last weight used on low bar -.-) to 55 kg. This will help me perfect the movement because of easier weight and since I will probably progress each time 2,5 kg I will be back to 72,5 kg in no time. This was my reaction after doing all sets and reps.

[Image: mindblown.gif]

No pain in the hips, knees do not cave in (and I will try to avoid that wherever I can) and I have huge pump in quads even though I used low weight. I can finally squat.

Messages In This Thread