rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Demolishing some brick walls, want to save the bricks, looking for tips

Demolishing some brick walls, want to save the bricks, looking for tips

Hi fellas--

Pretty much what it says on the can. No experience doing this. The bog standard Internet advice on recovering or salvaging bricks from already-built walls, with the intent of reusing them, seems to come down to

(1) Get a cold chisel and a hammer, be careful how you tap, and be prepared for a learning curve made up of broken bricks to start with, then clean off the remaining mortar either with some sort of HCl acid solution or a brick cleaning machine; or

(2) Get a cheapass angle grinder, stick a diamond-dust or stone disc on it, and grind the motherfuckers out.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience or better tips to offer on this one, any techniques that work better for getting the stuff out. I've got a bolster and a hammer and I'd planned to just start at the top of the walls I want to break down and work one row after the next, but if you think there's a better way to do it I'd love to hear it.

The bricks themselves would have to be a good thirty to forty years old, as well as the mortar. I hear older mortars were softer than modern, but does any of that have any bearing on the advice as well?

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

Messages In This Thread