rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Unsure of my next move..(career wise)

Unsure of my next move..(career wise)

A few weeks ago at work, these two photographers came through for lunch, I noticed that the cameras they had were these big expensive DSLRs and they definitely were not cameras for sight-seeing, these guys were professionals.

So we start talking, I ask them what they're here to shoot and they told me.

Thankfully, the place wasn't very busy so I ended up chatting with them for a good 10 minutes and mentioned my own interest in photography.

One of the guys mentions if I want to learn more about the industry and get involved.

I said

"Yes"

So he gave me his contact info, and said to keep in touch.

Well, I didn't realize it at the time but this guy I met who we'll call Chris is massively powerful in the fashion photography industry.

He told me he could get me an apprenticeship and that he wanted to see some of my work.

Next week, we met again I showed him some work and he liked some of it and other shots he thought were terrible. But he said he can pass my recommendation on to who runs the apprenticeships out of the UK.

I got in touch with the guy from the UK and now it seems I have a solid possibility of getting the apprenticeship.

There are about 500-600 applicants all over the world.

Problem is, the money. I was told I'd need to take a loan out and that the apprenticeship will be 2 years, then from there I can shoot my own models, run my own business and be skilled with everything relating to fashion photography.

The money is the big problem, which is making me hesitant.

I wasn't told exact numbers but it's going to be around the cost of a MBA in the US (I'm Canadian).

I'd definitely have to take a loan out.

But I want others opinions? What are your thoughts?

Alternatively..I just had an idea.

If I don't take this opportunity, I could take the same model and apply it to something else.

Let's say I want to learn copywriting (example), I could contact a top copywriter and say

"I want to learn from you, I'm willing to pay for your time under some form of apprenticeship. Are you interested?"

That might be a really good way to make money, acquire a skill and BYPASS school. I never did post-secondary and I really have no desire, but I'm afraid I'm going to be a bum the rest of my life.

Messages In This Thread