rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why do gringos always wanna be different?

Why do gringos always wanna be different?

Quote: (05-05-2009 03:24 PM)Branson Wrote:  

Quote: (04-13-2009 03:36 PM)elguapo Wrote:  

it must be some kind of gringo tropical uniform 'cause i've seen that in thailand as well.

i thought the point was to fit in with locals and with brasilians its not hard at all.

The “Uniform” for most of the lower income expats in Thailand is always the following: Cargo Shorts, some sort of sandal or flip-flop, a golf or t-shirt with a logo for a business (cuz they got it for free) and unshaven. Basically they look like shit but without exception they walk around with their nose in the air like they are somehow better than everyone else.

No need to dress like the locals, I never have – basically even if you wear a sombrero or sarong the locals still immediately recognize you as a foreigner. Just dress like you normally do and be polite

Yeah, gringos have a different concept of fashion. There are standards of fashion in the U.S. and the way you dress here also defines who you are. These concepts and standards, however, are terribly out of place in most other countries. Works in some places, but does not in others, especially where people are particular about what they wear. As a result, you can easily spot Americans abroad (uniforms). But then again, you can spot German, Italian, Russian, Japanese and Chinese tourists too. Tourists from every country are associated with different cliches.

Messages In This Thread