rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Ranking the Types of Travelers we Meet Abroad

Ranking the Types of Travelers we Meet Abroad

Nice post. I would assume I fall under the expat grouping, however I would like to adjust your definition and add a group or two. There are many expats living abroad on an international company package, most have been in said country for years, working and earning a nice western salary usually paid in Dollars or Euros.

This group in my opinion is the traveling group most would strive to be in. Within this grouping your gonna find very educated and worldly people that maybe even raising a family with a local or foreign spouse attending an international school, living in extremely nice apt's or houses all on the companies dime. They usually speak multiple languages and have lived and worked all over the world.

Don't forget also the military travelers for instance I know many DEA, Dept of Defense, and Embassy staff here in Colombia that are based in Bogota for 3-6 years depending on their contract. They also are hooked up with an amazing package of apt, schooling allowance, and transportation.

The group that just rubs me the wrong way are the backpackers or flashpackers that arrive to a city and within 3-6 months claim to be experts on everything and anything.....going on 6 years in Colombia and I still feel like I have tons to learn....I often steer clear of this group as I have had countless negative experiences.

The one thing I appreciate the most in a traveler is a humble demeanor, a willingness to be low key and an openness to listen to others who just may have a bit more experience and knowledge over them in that country.

Messages In This Thread