rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Paleo Diet

The Paleo Diet

Quote: (09-20-2011 05:29 PM)Caligula Wrote:  

I'm more interested in nutritional science and what has been proven to be a good diet (rather than what our paleolithic ancestors with less than half our life expectancy may or may not have eaten). The two clearly overlap, but it's good to see more rigorous science behind it.

What is your definition of a "good diet"? To me a good diet is one that promotes a healthy body and protects from disease for as long as possible. My interest is in longevity rather than aesthetics. I am not convinced that paleo diet is the healthiest one for us humans. Most adherents of paleo are looking for sub 10% body fat. I don't think this obsession with percentage body fat is healthy. You may have visible abs and be at 7% body fat, but this is no indication of your overall health. You could very well be rotting inside.

Paleo diets glorify meat protein and villify carbohydrates from legumes and most other vegetable sources. Yet, studies of societies with the longest lifespans have in fact come to the conclusion that a plant based diet is optimal for longevity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone

Quote:Quote:

The people inhabiting Blue Zones share common lifestyle characteristics that contribute to their longevity. Among the lifestyle characteristics shared among the Okinawa, Sardinia, and Loma Linda Blue Zones are the following:[7]
Family - Family is put ahead of other concerns.
No Smoking - Centenarians do not typically smoke.
Plant-based diet - The majority of food consumed is derived from plants.
Constant moderate physical activity - Moderate physical activity is an inseparable part of life.
Social engagement - People of all ages are socially active and integrated into their communities.
Legumes - Legumes are commonly consumed.

Messages In This Thread